HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Eric Gilmartin

POD versus, well, POD?

What's the difference, in actual practice (if any), between Print On Demand and Publish On Demand? I've read someplace herein that these sound similar, but are in fact very different processes indeed.

Mary M.

Re: POD versus, well, POD?

You'll find a thorough explanation in the 10/10 post of Violet in "Publishers" here.

Victoria Strauss

"Print on demand" is a kind of technology used by various kinds of publishers and publishing services providers, fee-based and not. You can use it to apply to any and all of these operations, as in "fee-based POD companies" or "small POD-based publishers" or "publishers that use POD for their backlists" or "publishers that use a combination of POD and traditional print runs, depending on demand" or "POD kiosks in bookstores".

I've seen the arguments that "publish on demand", like "book on demand", means something different. I'm not convinced. These are really just alternate terms, applied selectively and not very consistently by people who feel that "print on demand" has acquired a stigma.

- Victoria
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Victoria Strauss
    THE GARDEN OF THE STONE (HarperCollins Eos)
    Homepage: http://www.victoriastrauss.com
    Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/beware

Eric Gilmartin

Thanks, pals. I am going to shun the use of POD services from now on; I wanted to know if there were, in fact, a substantial difference in the terms being used, so I can better warn other neophytes to avoid going this route. Now, I need to get my next book's first three chapters fired off to TOR...!

Mary M.

For Victoria

Your interpretation sounds more reasonable. Thanks!