HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Mark Blanchard

Unsolicited request for "Critiques" - BEWARE

Hey folks,

I just received an unsolicited request to critique a writers.net poster's work. The poster was someone I didn't know named 'annette' and the attachment was a winmail.dat file.

Obviously, you don't ever open .dat or .exe files from unknown senders so I scrubbed it before it infected anything. Just thought I'd warn anyone else who might be targeted with the same attachment.

FYI, to anyone soliciting my opinion on their writing. I only review pieces from folks who ask me first. Unsolicited requests get dumped.

Mark

donray@writers.net

Re: Unsolicited request for "Critiques" - BEWARE

YES, it is wise for a writer seeking publication to simply 'ask' the agent or editor if you can send them your ms, or at least a short synopsis. It doesn't hurt to just ASK. Many editors prefer this rather than a 'In Your Face, Here's My Work' approach. Politeness counts and may score you big points with top agents and editors!

Eric Gilmartin

Re: Unsolicited request for "Critiques" - BEWARE

No worries, dude, I don't open most attachments I get from people I know in 3-D, and never from people I don't. Thanks for the head's-up, though.