HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

poetry anthology

does anyone know where i can find an anthology publisher who may look into my work and i can afford to have him publish me? i really need this help....
    thanks

Jon Cliff

Re: poetry anthology

Not sure what anthology is but why would you want to pay HIM?

well, most publishers who work on poetry have a reading fee.
    thanx for your commentary, jon

Jane Casey

Don't pay to be published. They are supposed to pay you for your creativity and efforts. They've not done the work or had the talent. If your poem would appeal to the general public try Reader's Digest.

Jon, I think it would be worth your time to contact Reader's Digest too. It's easy and they seem very nice to work with. They don't pay big, but have an extremely large publication.

Another one you may want to contact and it has an amazingly large circulation is Modern Maturity. John Wood is the editor there.

Jane

Steve

Sheena,
    I get the impression you\'re talking about publishing a book of poetry... is that correct? Generally, it\'s pretty much impossible for an unknown poet to have a book published by any decent publisher. Most publishers of poetry will only consider a book by a poet who is already widely published in journals and magazines and has probably won some prizes. There is such a small market for poetry as it is that it isn\'t at all worth it for the publisher to put out a book that doesn\'t have the added draw of an at least marginally recognized name.
    My advice is to publish as many poems as you can in smaller journals and magazines before even approaching any publishers. Submit to contests often--many journals have annual prizes. Try the Marlboro Review, for instance. Theirs is consistently a good contest. Also, some publishers do have book-length contests for poetry; Graywolf Press, for instance, has one each year, as does Sarabande Books. Many journals, actually, pay their bills with the contest fees they collect, so you\'ll have to pay to enter but if you win it\'s worthwhile because you can add that prize to your bio.
    I don\'t want to go on too long, but if you want some more suggestions about journals and magazines to approach I\'d be happy to discuss it with you. Also, I don\'t know where you live, but look for poetry events and slams nearby--it\'s a great way to make connections, many of could be involved with magazines. Pretty much all of the poetry I\'ve published came out of connections made at events, and I\'ve since been given my own events as a featured reader at several stores. All of which helps in submitting for publication.

Hope some of this helps.

Marsha Hudgens

If you want to print your own book and pay for it yourself, (John Grisham did with his first one), do a Google.com search for "book printers." I recommend reading at least one good book on self-publishing. I’d check the library first, and Half.com second. Printers are glad to fill in information blanks when you get that far. They help you select paper, bindings, and cover materials. Some even typeset. Services and prices vary greatly among them. Happy researching!

j. Ted Rosien

I think most of the adds you see in the magazines for a Poetry Contest is just a scam to get you to enter and then they want to sell you a book with your poem(s) and only charge you, $$$$$$$$

Buy the way, Isent a half dozen poems to The Atlantic monthly, They were returned, {No big deal, it happens to all of us} but what I found a little curt about it was they didn't stick a little not saying, Can't us them.

sunil nair

try squeek-ink.8m.com

sunil