HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: self-publishing

Marsha Hudgens

self-publishing

I self-published in 1996. I didn’t use a vanity publisher, go broke printing, or knock myself out trying to sell. If it matters, I broke even in year four just like the books predicted. Sometimes publishing, like writing, isn’t about money. Have you tried it? How did it go?

Eric Gilmartin

Re: self-publishing

So far, my print on demand effort hasn't sold even fifty copies, to my knowledge ... although, ,of course, given my publisher's apparent allergy to fixing my sales database, I've no way of knowing for sure exactly how manby copies I've sold. On the other hand, I bet I spent a fraction as much getting WOLFPACK STORIES: VOLUME I into POD as you did with your self-published enterprise - did you pay for printing, warehousing, and distribution, as well? I haven't the money to do that even if I wanted to do so; I'm curious to know how you went about it. Congrats on recouping your investment, by the way!

Marsha Hudgens

I paid for printing, got estimates from several printers for 3-5,000. I store and ship. Cost for hardcover with jacket originally about 14% of retail. We redesigned the cover (It was awful) which raised the cost per book to about 20% of retail. With Distributor discounts, that still leaves me 25% profit. I got some breaks, like an order from Quality Books, Endorsements, and Ingram taking me in. I made some mistakes, wasted a little time and money on promotions, but backed out before they got strenuous. My investment all total is still half what vanity presses proposed.

Eric Gilmartin

Way to go, pal! How did you market and promote it, if you don't mind my askiing? I think I was born lacking the salesmanship gene; all my life, I've strenuously avoided doing any type of selling or pushing ofd products, especially of anything I've done, and I've paid the financial price as a result. I'm just really phobic about it for some odd reason, and it shows kin my (non)results.

Rick Barnes

I self published in February of 2001. They were very good about keeping me on track and did a good job with the cover. Whenever self publishing it is critical to understand that they will do nothing without your suggesting it. So you really need to be prepared. My problems started AFTER the book was published. They listed it on all of the dot.coms etc, but their media blitz was a joke. They used a shotgun approach sending press releases to sports talk radio channels, (My book,\"Imposters\", is a book of poetry.) and other inappropriate press and media outlets. It is up to me to sell at this point and I am looking for any advice I can find that will help.
    btlore@hotmail.com

Eric Gilmartin

I wish I could give some, but you seem to have already gotten more of a media push than my e-publisher gave me. not that I'll ever send him another manuscript of mine, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd certainly wait a while longer - say, a year - for him to get up and running before I went with a company like his again. He promised me radio, local TV, book tours, the works, and none of it will EVER materialize.

Mary M.

For Eric

Did you have a contract? If so, it should be honored.