HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: true hero essay

sheenz

true hero essay

My true hero is my grandfather, Leroy Wesley Miller. He went to many places and did many great things. He was a member of the Paritroopers, the Masonic Lodge, The Elks Club, as well as a community leader and a wonderful father. He raised five daughters and five foster sons. He helped initiate the property owners association in the community where he lived. Now I am going to tell you a little more about my hero.
    My grandfather's birth name was Alfonzo Wesley Ducenberry, when he was 3 years old, he was adopted by the Miller family, and his name was changed to Leroy Wesley Miller. When he was 15 years old, he went to the gov't CCC Camp to make money to support his family. In the first draft, 1941, he went into the U.S. Army. He was then sent to Camp Walters as a cook in the messhall, making him the main cook for his family.
    After a few years in the forces, he was sent to San'o Blisco, California to Desert Manovers, and was assigned to the 96th Division. On July 4th, 1943, General Boltie organized the fighting 69th, and, at the general's recomendation, Leroy was transfered to that division. In 1944, he joined the paritroops and was called to Fort Benning, Georgia. He was assigned to 101st Air Born and got his wings.
    A little later, he was injured on the call of duty and was sent to memphis general hospital. He was assigned to Battery General Hospital in Rome, Georgia. He earned his medical training and and was sent to Camp Forrest, Tennessee to a German war prison hospital. As a medic, he saved the life of a prisoner. The war was carried to Dallas, Texas, where he went and worked for a dollar-fifteen and hour. He later went to Fort Riley, Kansas for four months. There, he went to the Las Vegas Air Force base.
    He was sent to Hackland Hospital in 1950, where he was the N.C.O. of the O.P.T. Clinic and responsible for hiring new staff. Coincidently, he hired the very same man who he had saved in the German prison camp. He was then sent to Germany in march of 1955, and returned to the U.S. on April 7, 1958, and reported into the Bergstrom Air Force Base.
    He retired from the Air Force on June 30th, 1965 and moved to Austin, Tx, to work in the Travis State School, putting good use to his medical talents as the physical therapist for the handicapped children. In october of 1970, after his fourth heart attack, he passed from this plain into the next. At his funeral, there was standing room only...
    people from all over came to pay their respects to the man who was an officer, a perfect gentleman, a beloved father, and friend.
    He will be greatly missed. I just wish I could have known him. He's my inspiration, and years after his death, he is still the fundamental foundation of our family love and pride.

Jane Casey

Re: true hero essay

Sheena,
    This is beautiful. I'm so happy you have a wonderful hero.
    Jane

Valerie Moreau

It sounds to me as if you have someone you can be proud of and that gives your family a strong understanding of love and support.

Eric Gilmartin

You continue to amaze me,Sheena. Are you sure you're only fourteen? At this rate of development you will be truly terrifiying to behold in the coming years, as you conquer the publishing the world. Thanks for this breathtaking story. I am becoming a bigger fan of yours all the time.

Eric Gilmartin

My apologies for the horrendous typos in that last post!