HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Patrick Edwards

"It Began With a Whisper" - building a tale

Please no comments--only builds (reasonable length). Now, overlap is gonna be an issue (assuming the mass participation I'm anticipating in this FUN! post !), so hopefully, folks will post quickly, so perhaps an integration can be cobbled together on a following post.

<U>It Began With a Whisper</U>

"All it takes is one."

I wasn't scared, but I shuddered nonetheless. Staring at the black and white photo of an old shipyard, I recalled hearing those words a few years back, and it nearly brought forth tears--angry, hurt, tense tears.

Lisa P

Re: "It Began With a Whisper" - building a tale

"May I help you, miss?"

"No, thank you. I'm just browsing," I answered with a simpering smile.

So cool, so collected. The product of many years of practice. I wasn't even sweating
    when I shoved the photo into my purse, despite the stagnant air in the shop.

The small fan on the front counter was like a drip of water on a fire. Fine with me. People didn't pay as much attention
    when they were miserable hot.

Luke Jones

Re: \

There I was, alone in this sticky bookstore with nothing but impatience to smear my thoughts.

It had been long enough. Too long, actually. My innards pull at me, yearning to tell me all is lost.

Maybe not. But what if?

It had been a week since I last heard from him. Their crew had set sail at dawn and was to return last night. There\\\\\\\'s a logical explanation to all of this. There\\\\\\\'s got to be.

Until then, I had to wait with no hope.

Patrick Edwards

\

The Beginning

"I'm in here, sweetie," I called out from the bedroom as I slipped loose strands into the scrunchie.

When I turned, Andrew stood at the door and watched me, a slight smile crossing his lips.

"What?"

"You're beautiful. Is it so shocking that I watch you as I watch the sunsets and rises?"

Smiling, I shook my head and turned back to the mirror. I watched him as he stepped lightly towards me.

He gently ran his hands across and down my shoulders, before he looked into the mirror and frowned. "Why are you crying, Sara?"

Luke Jones

"Oh it's nothing," I lied.

"What's the matter? Did I say something wrong?"

"Nothing, really," I said as I looked at his reflection. A deeply furrowed brow gazed back at me in disbelief. "I promise Andrew," I said as I carefully dismissed the tiny stream from my face. I reached deep down to find a smile and the result left him somewhat content.

"I love you," he said as he held me close from behind, his chest firmly against my back.

"I know."

"You ready to go?"

Donald O\'Treply

Well actually, I said, slipping the long blond wig off my head. I am a man.

Andrew staggered back and peeled the luxuriant moustache off his upper lip.

That's alright, he replied - I'm really a woman.

The end

Patrick Edwards

I awoke with a start, and looked around in a daze. "Oh, my," I said and ran a hand through my hair. I stretched and thought about the nightmare I'd just had, and for a moment, I couldn't piece together the fragments.

Andrew came into the room from the bathroom, his toothbrush half in his mouth. "Wow, sweetie," he said, laughing, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"No...just an amazingly stupid dream. I guess when we were at the mirror earlier, that was even more powerful than I had imagined, because somehow, I replayed it in the dream, and then..." I paused and looked down at the sheet for a moment, before turning back to Andrew. "And then I, uhm...well, I saw your mother in the mirror."

Andrew frowned and stared at me for a few seconds, and then he held up a finger and went back into the bathroom.