HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Nolan Wilson

A Single Sentence

This sentence is obviously not simple and direct, but I believe it to be quite elegant. My prof agrees with me that it is not simple and direct but has told me that elegance is most certainly a matter of opinion, and cannot be defined by the word ‘style’. Obviously it goes against the principles taught by Strunk and White, who preach ‘simple and direct’, but as far as I’m concerned it strikes home quite well, even as a single sentence.

I would like to know ONLY your opinions relating to Elegance on this piece. Does it ring of Elegance to you, as it does to me? Some of you may recognize this piece...

The boy, crouched on his nail keg at the back of the crowded room, knew he smelled cheese, and more: from where he sat he could see the ranked shelves close-packed with the solid, squat, dynamic shapes of tin cans whose labels his stomach read, not from the lettering which meant nothing to his mind but from the scarlet devils and the silver curve of fish-this, the cheese which he knew he smelled and the hermetic meat which his intestines believed he smelled coming in intermittent gusts momentary and brief between the other constant one, the smell and sense just a little of fear because mostly of despair and grief, the old fierce pull of the blood.’

Rogue Mutt

Re: A Single Sentence

Are you trying to game us by posting someone else's sentence?

Nolan Wilson

Not a game, but it is a work by someone i consider to be one of the greatest writers of all-time... hence the comment about elegance ONLY. I have spent quite a bit of time dissecting this piece, and only desire a few more opinions. i am working on stretching my sentences... longer sentences, when carefully crafted and tightly controlled, are essential keys to elegant and effective writing- This, my prof agrees with me upon.

Keith .

Sure, but I think it's risky to model something you'd submit today after Faulkner.

Sam English

Depends on YOUR definition of "elegant". If it's "gracefully concise and simple or admirably succinct"...then no -- it's a long winded and indulgent dissertation about cheese. If you mean "excellent, fine or superior", then it's wide open to taste and opinion. I have to disagree with the "length" determining "elegance". "Carefully crafted", maybe, but "long" -- no.
    But what do I know...

Nolan Wilson

This is my project for the next 2 days, Keith. I must break down the syntax, while identifying underlying propositions. Then i must try to duplicate the elegance and length of the sentence, using different propositions as well as rearranging the syntax of the sentence. BUT, i must as well submit a paper on why the length of this sentence affects the way in which it strikes its reader with ELEGANCE.

That said, any comments on why anyone finds this sentence as elegant would be appreciated.

NJ,

Nolan Wilson

Thanks, Sam.
    in elegant, i imply the way in which the way the writer's(Faulkner)sentence efficiently accomplishes what he desires it to. I understand that in mathematics, there is only one elegant solution to a problem, while with writing there may be many ways we can accomplish what we set out to do, i wish to know why this sentence strikes you as elegant.

i believe this sentence is elegant because it conveys the complex thinking that haunts the boy and leads him ultimately to betray his father.

NJ,

Cathy C

I don't find it particularly elegant so I can't help. [shrug]

Rogue Mutt

Elegance is in the mind of the reader.

Keith .

So, was all this just an effort to cheat on your homework?