HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Title?

Aara Vinsh

Title?

Anyone know how to figure out an attention catching title? I had a title for the MS I am working on and now it just does not seem to fit any longer. Not only that but the way I have it going it looks like it is going to be more then one book so it needs the extra titles or something like __________ the journey begins...or search for the truth or something like that. I don't know if what I am saying is even making sense to anyone...

Aara

Rogue Mutt

Re: Title?

Look for a song title, that's what I like to do.

Busy Lizzy

It's a good idea to type your would-be title into the book-search function of Amazon. This way you can make sure nobody has used it yet.

Lisa P

Aara,

There's a good chance any title you come up with would be changed before the book is pubbed,
    so don't sweat it. You could try one of the random book title generators out there on the web.
    I did come across an interesting article on what not to name your book.

; )

Aara Vinsh

LOL...thanks Lisa, that's funny. I may try a title generator...
    the book is fantasy, which is rather common I am sure, but it's what is running through my head at the moment aaahhhh...the voices again...

Bizzy Lizzy...I actually did that with one that I have written that went through PA...after I sent it Catherine Palmers new book came out with the same title

Nolan Wilson

I would keep your character's name out of your title, but that is only my personal opinion. I have to agree with Lisa, as the fantasy novels i've written have had their titles changed multiple times, and the ones i chose usually came to me out of the blue.

I don't know if anyone else sits down and peruses titles, but i certainly don't. If you think of one that is decent, write it down, and when you have a few in mind, post them and you'll recieve opinions.

For my second novel, Mana Moon, i incorporated elements of the story into the title : Mana, because a certain crystal (Manatite) plays an important role, and Moon, because one of my elven characters is forbidden to use destructive magic until he reaches the age of his five hundredth moon. Just as an example...
    Good Luck,
    NJ

Cindy Kay

Sometimes a phrase or word from within the manuscript works.

Amanda Brenner

I've read that a lot of titles are Bible references.

AB

Rogue Mutt

Or if you're James Patterson nursery rhyme references.

Tristan Gregory

I often find myself referencing well known aphorism and sayings in my titles. Just enough of a snippet to bring the rest to mind.