HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Page Turner

Re: awkward plural posessive

I'm with ****. I'd reshape the sentence. The 's' sound is alliterative and supports the 'nasssstiness' of the sisters. Sisters-in-law's, however, is too 'essy'.

Denis Bonner

Likewise. Go for Lilly's suggestion

John Hawkwood

****'s suggestion works. Alternatively you can take a problem and turn it into an opportunity:

My husband's three sisters were a vicious group, and I was no longer naive to their ways.

This breaks up an overcrowded sentence into two parts - the first establishing a fact about the three sisters, and the second describing how the narrator developed in response to that fact. It more explicitly suggests there is a story behind the narrator's change of attitude.

Another possibility:

My husband's three sisters were a vicious bunch and I was no longer naive to the bitches' ways.

This again breaks up the overcrowded sentence as above, but adds stronger terms ("bitch," but also "bunch") suggesting the narrator is bitter over his/her treatment at their hands, further provoking the reader's interest regarding the implied untold story. Eliminating the comma links the two thoughts more strongly which makes it seem that the narrator is speaking without a break because of some strong emotion (something I learned from reading Cormac McCarthy).

There are, of course, a number of different ways you could do this, depending on the tone you want your narrator to convey.