Well, perhaps I deal with grief differently, but seeing a pile of a dead friend’s clothes wouldn’t and hasn’t hurt me at all. And remembering times a dead friend wore something produced more laughter and pleasant thoughts than an ache, and the memories were hardly “hollow”. They were poignant, vibrant, and bespoke more the luck and love I felt at knowing my friend than the loss I felt at his death. But perhaps young men handle grief differently than young women. To me, things people leave behind at death matter very little unless there’s some sort of sentiment or history attached to it, and clothes are not the sort of thing to wring a person’s heart; they’re too ephemeral. But a piece of jewelry or furniture, a book, a letter, a figurine...things that last long enough to gain emotional history...THOSE are the things that both cut and salve a person’s soul.

Her friend’s presence did not eclipse her own because her friend was not present. I think you’re trying to say that the dead friend was such a lively character that the living girl paled in comparison to the dead girl’s things alone. I think that’s a pretty unreasonable statement, except for an exceedingly shallow and insecure person. If that’s a prime trait of your MC, then it’s a pretty good statement as far as character development, but the hyperbole makes me think the MC is insecure almost to the point of mental illness. I'd tone it down a few notches. It's almost as if the MC harbors resentment against her dead friend's vivaciousness.

I think you want to say “live ON the husks of the departed”, not “in”, otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense. I don’t know the details of the other “leavings”, but I’m fairly certain it’s a flawed comparison. People leave; shoes are left.

Several weak or empty verbs. Tighten it up.