HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Names

Rey Muniz

Names

I find the hardest part of writing to be inventing new and unique names that fit the timeset of my swords and arrows fantasy. Does anyone have a tried and true method of coming up with good names? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam English

Re: Names

<http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/>

Gary Kessler

For first names only, I google popular baby names (can even find them for specific decades) from whatever ethnic/geographic region I want their background to be. I've also used the telephone book--flipped open at random for a surname and then again for a given name. The names need to go with my concept of the character in my mind--and I have no formula for that. I do try to avoid having names that can be mistaken for another name in the work by the reader (unless doing so is part of a plot device).

Rogue Mutt

A lot of times for last names I think of athletes. That's really helpful if you need some foreign names, like if you need a Russian gangster just think of hockey players. The last name for the main character in my book came from a player for the Red Wings/Maple Leafs. Of course if you don't watch sports the phone book isn't a bad way to go. Or even look at your bookshelf and put together a couple of names from there. You know, like if you have a book by Stephen King and one by Anne Rice you could call your guy Stephen Rice.

Author Pendragin

Google, "Character name generator", you should be able to find something to help you with your names.

Josh Lemay

I don't know why, but I usually have an idea of the first few letters/sounds of a characters name, even if I don't have the exact name planned out yet.

Going with that, I take a trip over to <http://www.babynames.com/> and browse through their listing of names. They've got some basic backgrounds of what the names mean and it's easy to gloss through quickly. I pick something that sounds nice and go with it.

For surnames, there's a huge assortment of websites that deal with whatever ethnicity of a surname you could ever want. I've got a couple bookmarked, but finding new ones is as easy as doing a quick Google search.

Johnny Carolina

I DO, What I do is go straight to google. Then do this Type names for different Cultures or Nationalities. It always sparks my creative side.

ex google.
    Egyptian Baby Names
    Italian Names
    German Names
    European Names
    Ancient Greek Surnames
    etc.

Laura M

<http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names.htm>

Rey Muniz

I have to say the links were enormously helpfull. Laura M and Sam English are currently my heros. The other techniques were also extremely helpful. I have an entire notebook filled with names already! Thank you very much