HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rey Muniz

The elongated yellow fruit

I have searched far and wide to find a problem to this rather difficult problem that seems rather persisten in slowing my writing as much as possible. A long time ago a man was writing a newspaper abotu the worlds largest distributor of bannanas. Now after using the word bannana several times in the same paragrapgh out of desperation the poor man substituted banana with "The elongated yellow fruit". I keep encountering this problem with several different words despite my frequent searchings. Chief among them is the word enemy. Foe,advesary,antagonis these are words one can only use so many times. I humbly beg for a solution

Laura Mollett

Re: The elongated yellow fruit

nemesis?

There's a lot of synonyms for enemy if you google it, including 'asperser' which is a new one on me. I've heard of casting aspersions, but not that the asperser is the one who does such a thing. Anyway, most of the synonyms have additional choices as well if you look them up individually.

Book Werm

This person must have a name. Even more dramatically, give him a descriptive nickname. Use that name interspersed with the other words you find.

Book Werm

Also Rey, at some point the reader gets he's the enemy. You don't have to constantly describe him to hit the reader over the head to drive home the point.

James Bishop

I have to agree with Book Worm. Synonyms don't hide the fact that you're repeating yourself, and repetition is your enemy here. You should rarely, if ever, have need of so many synonyms in the first place.

Don Daffron

If itís a war story, words like enemy and soldier are going to be used over and over again. There is no getting around it.

Cindy Kay

Don't forget the magic of pronouns.

Joe Zeff

Is there a nationality, an ethnic group or an organization you can use? As an example, if your story was about GIs in Normandy back in 1942, you could write about Germans, nazis[1], krauts, boche[2] and that's without considering that they were either members of the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. Lots of possibilities if you use your imagination just a little bit.[3]

[1]I refuse to give that word the courtesy of an initial capital. I've been known to rephrase sentences to move it back from the first word or even, it there's no good way to do that typing it in lower case and capitalizing the next word instead.

[2]A French term for Germans; used in both wars and means "blockhead."

[3]Aren't footnotes fun!

Rey Muniz

My problem lies in the fact that the enemys of my main characters are nameless most of the time. Random characters that have no meaning. Another problem is that these characters are not soldiers but rather enemys if you catch my meaning. I have a terrible time trying to come up with words to name them.

Laura M

Why are the enemies of your protagonist random, nameless, meaningless characters? It seems to me like those would be the second most important characters in a story.