HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Author Pendragin

Dialog to Narrative

Hi everyone. I started writing this part of dialog, but how do I go about introducing the narrative? Should I go straight into it?

“Come to the beginning and continue down the path until you reach the end, isn't that how it goes detective?”

“I wouldn't know, I am not walking it.”

“Oh come now detective Sawyer, you read kid's books?”

“No, but my four year old niece does. Why don't we talk about children's stories downtown Brandon?”

“The Mad Hatter if you please.”

“Ok, Mad Hatter. Don't you think it would be easier to discuss Alice someplace else?”

While we're on the subject how is the dialog?

Author Pendragin

Re: Dialog to Narrative

“Come to the beginning and continue down the path until you reach the end, isn't that how it goes detective?”
    “I wouldn't know, I am not walking it.”
    “Oh come now detective Sawyer, you read kids books?”
    “No, but my four year old niece does.”
    “Maybe you should follow the white rabbit.”
    “Why don't we talk about kids books downtown Brandon?”
    “The Mad Hatter if you please.”
    “Ok, Mad Hatter. Don't you think it would be easier to discuss Alice someplace else?”

Denis Bonner

I don't see what your question is. Where do you want the narrative to begin?

The reference to the white rabbit seems totally out of context.

Don Daffron

If I understand your question, narrative does not have to be introduced.

Rogue Mutt

If you're having problems with basics things like this, you probably need to read more books to see how real, published writers handle it. Then you can start applying it to your writing.

Cathy C

If I understand your question, narrative does not have to be introduced.

Yeah, it does, Don. Desperately. But much depends on what's going on in the plot at that moment. Is this a phone call? An in-person meeting? I'd do something like this with it:

“Come to the beginning and continue down the path until you reach the end, isn't that how it goes detective?” While the man's voice sounded calm, there was an underlying tension that made Tom think he could erupt into hysterical giggles any moment. It made his skin crawl.

But it was best to keep him on the phone while Bill tried to trace the call. “I wouldn't know, I'm not walking it.”

“Oh come now detective Sawyer, you read kids books?”

He felt his eyebrows drop and exchanged a confused glance with Bill. Where was he going with this? The last childrens book he read was Cat in the Hat “No, but my four year old niece does.” Just then, Bill's face lit up and he flashed a thumbs-up sign. They had a lock on his location! His partner furiously scribbled on a slip of paper and handed it to the waiting uniform, who nodded and took off with three more people at his heels.

“Maybe you should follow the white rabbit.”

Etc., etc. You can add narrative in anywhere---before or after dialogue, and you don't have to move paragraphs until you change speakers. Dialogue can be place anywhere so long as it reads well. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Don Daffron

Are you saying a writer has to write: “This is narrative, let me introduce you?” Narrative is narrative; there is no introduction.

Cathy C

I took the original post to mean "introducing" as a synonym for inserting.

Author Pendragin

More or less I am talking about a translation into dialog. It's not that I don't know how, it's that I just want to do it right. In addition, the book opens up to a very tense situation.

l m

From your first post in this thread:
    I started writing this part of dialog, but how do I go about introducing the narrative?

...To your most recent post:
    More or less I am talking about a translation into dialog.

...you appear to have difficulty writing simple thoughts. Why do you insist on your own eccentric vocabulary? "Introducing the narrative"? What the f--k does that mean? "Translation into dialog"? What in the world are you talking about?