HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    jayce

Re: Dropping the bomb ...

...the reader needs to suspend disbelief, but not by the neck until dead.

Good line.

leslee

It's fabulous. Good one, Joe.

Joe Zeff

Thank you, both. Alas, it's not original by any means. I ran across it years ago and use it on the rare occasions it's appropriate, as it was here.

BTW, Brandon, your best bet would be to find out what the Enola Gay was and use that. And, I might add that General Groves had no input into how or where the bomb was used. I know that President Truman made the decision to use it, but I'm not sure how the targets were picked.

Brandon Cleveland

Joe,

For the sake of not introducing too many characters, I'm just having Brig. Gen. Groves and relay the command. It's pointed out in another flashback that Groves is just following orders (from, Truman, whose hand it was in).

The enola gay was a b-29 bomber i think, or b-52. I'll have to check it out at some point. But you guys are right, I need to make it as factual as possible, when I can.

- Brandon

Joe Zeff

B-29, then, because, as I pointed out earlier, the B-52 wasn't even on the drawing board yet.

Marianne Mihkelson

Brandon, in your full exerpt you change tense from past to present throughout, and sometimes in the same sentence. It would be clearer if you could just stick to one tense.

Rogue Mutt

Yes, the Enola Gay was a B-29. The B-29 was replaced after the war briefly by the B-36 with backwards-facing props. It was already an anachronism though with the jet engine being developed. The B-52 came out in about 1952 and has been active in one form or another ever since. The B-52 was pretty much the last mass-produced American bomber as the later B-1 swing-wing bomber and B-2 "Stealth" bomber were made in small quantities. In the 50s there was also the B-58 Hustler which was a three-seat bomber meant to go supersonic to drop nukes on Russia. That design never really panned out so not many of those ever existed either.

I don't know, how much did the Little Boy weigh? I doubt there was a fighter aircraft back then capable of carrying and dropping it.

Joe Zeff

Wikipedia says it weighed 8,900 lb.

Rogue Mutt

Yeah, so really there's no way a fighter is going to be able to fly to Japan with a 9000 pound bomb and the fuel necessary to get there and back. The technology just wasn't available then--that's why B-17s flew unaccompanied into Germany early in the war. So it would have to be a long-distance bomber, which means you'd have to have a crew of more than one.