HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Conor Beaulieu

Re: Spillane

'I could probably take a beginner with any talent & get them producing something publishable in less than a month"

Haha, Anthony. Feel like doing exactly that?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Well, by "a month" I mean that I'd harass you 15 hours/day for four weeks, demanding that you write & study & write some more, that you explain your writing choices & be able to justify them. We affectionately call this the "death march" or, so as not to frighten people, the "boot camp."

Actually, I stole the idea from various pros I've talked to over the years, who have private "lockdown" weekend (sometimes longer) sessions to get past the entropy. In particular was the Milford Writer's workshop: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Writer%27s_Workshop> As one told me, "I'd show up with a contract & no ideas, & leave with three ready-to-finish novels."

Conor Beaulieu

You liar.

Rogue Mutt

Wow, that was really fascinating Anthony. We need more stuff like that around here.

Cindy Kay

Yes, great idea. I've done a few lockdown weekends myself, but had forgotten. Think I'm due. Just me, the computer, coffee, wine, and two full days. Now what to do with the husband and child. Before I've rented a cabin or something, but I work better at home. Perhaps I can convince them to vacate for a ski weekend as soon as the snow flies.

Thanks for the reminder, Anthony.

Janice W-D

Anthony,

My first fiction generating machine was a Remington manual typewriter. The tedious work of retyping every single word on every single page made a great motivator for getting it right the first time. Especially since I wrote everything in longhand first. It was hard learning to compose on a typewriter, and later teaching myself how to use a computer. Now, I can't imagine composing anything other than journal writing longhand. Unlike Spillane, who shunned computers, I'm very grateful for modern technology.

I'm gearing up for a lock-down month, NaNoWriMo in November. I completed the required 50,000 words in 2007, which got me to roughly mid-point of that novel. True to founder Chris Baty's warning, I haven't succeeded in finishing the thing yet. He strongly suggests writing skimpy chapters, if that's what it takes to reach the end of the novel by November 30th. I love revisions, it's where the true writing skill comes into play. Fleshing out chapters would be easier for me than creating an end to a novel I no longer feel passionate about.
    <http://www.nanowrimo.org/>

That's my goal for this NaNo, write skimpy chapters from start to finish. My home life presents few interruptions. No kids. My supportive husband will feed our dogs. I have a vague plot start and I'm using a main character and a supporting character from the 2007 novel, which means I already know the basics about them. For the first time in my life, I don't know how the story ends. Since I usually struggle through the middle part, creating an outline as I go, I wanted to try something different with this novel. I'd like to get down a bare bones outline for the entire novel beforehand and create a dozen character sketches for the bit players the plot requires. As usual, I'm running out of time. Wish me luck.

Best,
    Janice