HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    d d

Your Writing Method

Do you write by following a predetermined outlined plot or do you just wing it?

I used to feel that outlines,etc. were the way to go, but recently I have been just keeping a loose story line in my head and writing more impulsively. I think this is working out much better.

I know this method will probably leave me open to more errors plot wise, but I can always fix that. The creativity is what I am aiming for.

How about you?

Ray Spengler

Re: Your Writing Method

dd,

This question has been put forth a number of times. The fact that folk continue to bring it up illustrates the impact that writing has on us. We're alone in the process and the pleasure and pain of that sometimes drives us crazy performing that solitude endeaver.

Be comforted in the realization that each of us must find our own way. If you look for ideas, that's okay; but someone else's won't necessarily fit your needs. Seek alternate methods, sure, but, in the end, fighting through on your own will ultimately sculpt your approach.

My two cents.

Ray

Don Daffron

My plot outlines are very general and never used as a strict roadmap, but I do have a general idea of what I want the reader to get out of the story before I write the first word.

But, hey, Iím just a lowly Constitutionalist and therefore not worthy of an opinion. My computer should be confiscated by the lefties and I should be banned from WN for not worshiping FDR, Stalin, and other great lefties of history.

d d

Sandy Koufax and Steve Carlton were great lefties.

Don Daffron

I hear Stalin was.

Mark Phillips

Don, can you say anything without injecting politics into it? It's sad.

As for the question, I have never and would never use an outline, charater sketch or anything like that. I'm not saying these things are bad, I'm only saying they don't work for me.

When I write a book, I have no idea where I'm going at all. I just sit down and write. Many people think this causes the story to ramble or to hit plot holes, but it doesn't for me. You wouldn't believe how many times I've been wondering why something happened, or something was said only to find out a hundred pages later or so that whatever happened impacted something that came out later in the story.

Don Daffron

Mark:

If you read a post on the craft forum you would know why I wrote that.

Denis Bonner

I like to have the beginning sorted out, and then I need to know the end.
    After that it is a matter of filling in the dots (or the middle if you prefer).

The story I am writing began with a title - a chance phrase which I thought perfect for the title of a book. Then I had to work out what story could justify the title.

Works for me.

Brandon Cleveland

d_d,

I typically start with a concept, and most of the time I know how it begins and ends. What happens in the meantime is my imagination at work.

Rogue Mutt

Crap, I do pretty much the same thing as Don. Just yesterday I was filling in a rough plot description for a story. Then when it gets time to actually start writing it I might do a little outlining. When I wrote my great literary opus I didn't use an outline at all, just a plot description, but for genre stories I like to use more of an outline to help keep things focused.