HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Cathy C

Re: bettering your chances?

I agree. I happen to write in the paranormal realm because that's what I write. I'd write it even if WWII dramas were all the rage. I just wouldn't earn as much. LOL!

But there's nothing saying you can't try your hand at multiple genres. You never know if you might find a new genre that you're good at. I was writing historical until I discovered I was good at (and loved!) writing vampires and werewolves.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Re: bettering your chances?

The whole vampire &/or werewolf thing has been a staple for decades. If you write something now, though, it'd have to be Really Darned Good in order to get noticed among all the thousands of "I'm gonna cash in on the trend" writers.

Tastes come & go. When I talk to a newish writer about writing for the market, I always advise, "If you're gonna do that, then write for what was hot 3-5 years ago." My rationale is that there's probably still a big audience, & most of the publishers (& writers) have followed the trend, abandoning that market. It may be possible to become a sort of midlist mainstay.

I keep threatening to write for the "Man from U.N.C.L.E." & "Avengers" properties....