HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    junel ;-)

bettering your chances?

I've just been watching a late night culture and art review show, and the whole programme was based around the topic of how cult has now become mainstream.

How sci-fi and fantasy (fantasy would include the vampire genre) are now big.

After a post 9/11 world and the recent economic turmoil, these two genres have apparantly blown.

People are after escapism essentially.

So to better your chances of getting published, should one be writing in these genres?

junel ;-)

Re: bettering your chances?

I ask this question because my WIP is most definitely not in these genres.

And I'm getting worried?

Gary Kessler

I would say no--not unless that's what you really want to write. Because the increase of the offerings in these genres has far (farfarfarfarfar) outstripped the demand. You are looking at only one aspect. There can be a marked increase of interest in a genre, but if it results in a triple-marked increase of manuscripts thereby on offer, the individual author's possibilities have decreased, not increased.

The successful author is looking for tomorrow's trend, not yesterday's.

junel ;-)

Yes, i agree with you Gary. And more or less the same thought crossed my mind as i watched the show.

But looking at it from the profit/business perspective of agents and publishers, it worries me.

Gary Kessler

I don't know why it would worry you too much. Agents and publishers don't turn on a dime with periodic changes in popular genres. They pretty much specialize. There may be some trending to these genres, but not much. The book market is huge. An upflux here and there doesn't cancel out production in other genres.

If anything, if authors are running to the Sci Fi and Fantasy, you are at an advantage to stick with what they'd be writing otherwise.

junel ;-)

Yes, you are right, i think this programme is just fresh in my mind that's all.

But to be absolutely honest, my worries are deeper. And I'll share it. My WIP revolves around the post 9/11 world and issues involved.

It's fictional, but uses factual events as the backdrop.

From watching this programme, seeing the demand for 'escapism' as they put it (in the fantasy and sci-fi genre), i'm concerned that.. well, basically people just don't want to be reminded of it anymore.

Joe Zeff

Write the type of book you want to read, not the type of book that's selling right this minute. Not only will you end up with a better book, you won't run the very real risk of finishing it just as it goes out of fashion. Good SF (as opposed to hack sci-fi) and good fantasy take a lot of work to do well (as does any genre) and if you don't understand it, you've got almost no chance of coming up with something salable.

d d

No. I'm an American and I could care less about any sort of fantasy novel. The closest thing to fantasy I have ever bought are adventure type novels.

But, I can't speak for the public at large.

Steven Montano

I think it's wise to be aware of what popular culture is reading, but not to feel bogged down by it or limited to writing in those genres.

Write what you love.

Lea Zalas

Junel - write the story that's in you. If a SFF story isn't in your mind and imagination, it would be very hard to write. A good storyteller can write in any genre - as long as it's good.

Lea