HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    John Oberon

Re: novels with naughty bits

I wasn't aware that anyone in this thread made that case. I, for instance, said that if he had a boring story, perhaps he should keep the sex. Maybe that's what convinced him.

Rogue Mutt

Oberon's just a prude. Hooray for sex!

Lisa P

Embrace those naughty bits, people!
    ; )

junel ;-)

I was just making a flippant comment John, I think i'm pretty much more or less from your view point.

Charlotte Castle

I disagree with dd - sex doesn't only have a place in romance or horror, in fact it is the slushy romantic sex scenes which I find most pointless.

I'm interested in your scene between hooker and punter. Dependant on how it was written (naturally) I think I'd be drawn into the book quickly.

There is a fashion for more realism these days, and a well written sex scene, including clothes that do not magically melt away, limbs that get cramp, and embarassing banged head moments can enhance the believability of your charactors.

I recently read a VERY explicit sex scene in a novel, which was used to show that the a previously normal seeming charactor, in fact had very serious issues. (She wanted a number of highly degrading and violent actions carried out.) It was a powerful way of getting across her mental state and entirely natural as the awkward shock of the protaganist was exactly right.

I do also think that John Oberon may have a point that the scene could start just after sex though. You mention that it is a graphic sex scene and this way well be unwise at the beginning of a novel. You can still be quite shocking - I won't go into too much detail for fear of offending but think tissues, disposal of condoms and other more distateful aspects of sex.

Cx

sam albion

I decided to keep the sex scene because I felt that a) I was not trivialising or romanticising the act b) it provided great insight into a character who, although considered a minor character is, in the novel, a person, and c) it helped to set the tone of the novel.

I find that, generally, novels utilising the old (and probably dog-tired) "serial killer-victims-heroes" trinity spend far too much time concentrating on heroes and killers at the expense of the victims. These victims we authors include for the sake of realism are, in our novels, secondary characters. I think that our portrayal of two-dimensional characters helps to maintain their exclusion out there, beyond the novel. Yes, the serial killer kills the tart, but that's usually it. We do not consider, for instance, the moist, milky tissues and the smell of spermacide.

Anthony Ravenscroft

I'll admit to enjoying the chance to read a well-written sex scene. But for the most part I expect 'em to somehow advance the plot &/or improve my understanding of the characters, their motivations, & the general arc.

Charlotte Castle

"the moist, milky tissues and the smell of spermacide."

Gross. Hope you get a book deal!

Gary Kessler

There was a period in book marketing history that sex scenes were expected in order for the book to sell. Along came such as the Clancys and the Grishams and the Browns who can't write them well, though, and made them no longer semi mandatory.