HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sam albion

novels with naughty bits

What is the general consensus amongst the writers here concerning sex scenes in novels?

I am editing my novel and have moved my opening chapter to a better place (the bin!), but this means the novel then opens with a graphic sex scene outlining an encounter between a prostitute and a punter (page two).

Is this likely to scare the average reader, or will I dissapoint them when they discover that one scene is the only one with... erm... meat?

John Oberon

Re: novels with naughty bits

To me, sex scenes are fluff, not meat. Meat is something that advances the story or reveals someone's personality or character. Sex scenes serve mainly to titillate or spice up a dull story. If you have a dull story, then sex away, I suppose.

For me, unless there's some compelling reason to keep it, I'd axe the sex and start with the prostitute and punter talking after sex, particularly if this is the first scene. You want to illuminate situations and characters quickly, and that happens better without sex. Sex stops the story and character development until after it's finished. But, as I say, if you have a boring story, then perhaps it's best for you start out with sex.

Lisa P

sam, there's nothing wrong with sex in novels. It's part of life, why pretend it doesn't happen?
    I think you can lend insight to characters within a sex scene. Every scene is an opportunity to
    further character development. Whether or not to use it up front is totally up to you. After all, you
    know the story better than we do. If it works, then use it. JMO.
    ; )

leslee

"To me, sex scenes are fluff, not meat

{stopping self from making numerous jokes regarding sex/meat}

junel ;-)

Well it depends if your sex scene has anything to say? If it's got something to say, go for it!!!

John Oberon

I agree with you Lisa that you CAN provide insight into characters within a sex scene, but is that what 99.9% of sex scenes do? No. The vast majority of sex scenes are there for the sex and very little else. So Sam...look at the scene honestly and ask yourself this question: Am I providing insight into characters or advancing the story with this scene? If no, axe it. If yes, then ask yourself if you could do it better and more efficiently without the sex. If no, keep it. If yes, axe it.

Lisa P

John, maybe you're not reading the right sex scenes.
    ; )

leslee

He hasn't read any of mine. I write sex scenes a lot. They're so juicy, the'd make him run for the Kleenex.

John Oberon

lol...just proves my point: sex scenes are for sex and not much else. Usually, the story stops until the sex is finished. For myself, I prefer doing it to reading or writing it.

Rogue Mutt

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.