HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dan Brown

d d

Dan Brown

What do you think of his work?

I recently finished Angels and Demons and I realized that quite a few sentences seemed off/amateurish.

Don't get me wrong, overall the book really kept my attention and the plot moved great, but the writing was just average.

I know this was an earlier book of his, so maybe he has improved.

I guess every writer doesn't have to be a literary mastermind; just a good storyteller, and that he is.

Robert Wilson

Re: Dan Brown

I tried to read Deception Point and could not finish it, it just did not hold my interest.

But he certainly did have a good idea with DVC. Although, it may not have been his original idea at all, hence the lawsuit.

RW

mar quesa

d d

I love The Da Vinci Code. It's one of my favorite books. For me, the plot concept is intriguing enough to compensate for the writing. I didnít feel the same way about Angels and Demons, but good on Dan Brown for having the courage to write. I think it was in [i]Bird by Bird</> that I read that perfectionism is the main obstacle between a writer and a ****ttty draft. Besides, I've read literary works that have some "amateurish" sentences and/or cliche phrases or words in them. Nobody's perfect!
    Writers should be true to themselves. Aiming at cultivating a literary voice when it isn't "natural" to the writer and/or story is worse than writing a good story in "average writing".

Don Daffron

A lot of people have the same opinion as you on his writing skill and style, but they mostly seem to think his new book is worth reading anyway. I guess itís difficult to criticize success. Why should he care what people think as long as the millions keep coming. I havenít read any of his books, so I canít say, but you can find plenty of criticism on Amazon. The last I looked, no one was raving about his writing skill, most said it was amateurish

Nolan Wilson

I have always found that when reading a story, as long as it holds my attention, I do not have a hard time getting past a few errors. In fact, The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks was the book that prompted me to write my own novel. I read the first fifty pages and thought 'I can write better than this poo.' Now i have read the whole novel and it is quite good, but takes a little too much time getting into the story. Kind of makes you wonder how these authors who write in a somewhat amateurish way even get noticed.

Lea Zalas

If the story grabs the reader, that's what important. And it's true about the grammar, if you really get into the story you don't even notice the mistakes.

Lea

d d

agreed.

junel ;-)

Man, Noah, i feel the same, i read the Sword of Shannara, and was flabbergasted by how mind numbingly dull it was, how lacking in originality it was, how simplistic it was, the characters were all cliche like the story, and there was no depth to neither, no subtext to the story.

The writing wasn't bad, but it wasn't attempting anything beyond a standard form of prose either. So it wasn't that sophisticated anyway, more nursery type writing.

I kept reading thinking surely it must get better, but it never did.

It read like Terry Brook's has a template he just follows for each volume.

Yet in Wikepedia it says he has 22 novels in the New York Times bestsellers, and he is the biggest selling living fantasy writer (although i thought that to be J K Rowling).

Makes you think.

It astonishes me that in over fifty years since the Lord of the Rings was first published, it hasn't been bettered or no series has even come close to bettering it. I think fans of this genre are so hungry for an epic similar, they are sold these substandard ones in place. Perhaps? But saying that I've come across fans of the fantasy genre, who have never even read Lord of the Rings. Which I find baffling. No doubt Lord of the Rings is the absolute pinnacle of this genre.

Fancy spending most of your adult life writing a fantasy series? like Tolkien did.

junel ;-)

Apologies Nolan, I referred to you as Noah.

Lea Zalas

Junel, I love SFF. I tried, but I could not get into reading anything of Tolkien's. Love to watch his books once they're made into movies, but the writing is too dry for me. Same for Dan Brown. And it's not because they're so long, the writing simply bores me to tears.

Lea