+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jayce

Re: Unhappy with two sentences

Where in Europe?

Book Werm

jayce-London.

Rogue, yes in New York it was large with women working furiously, but not children, so I've invoked a somewhat correct image. In London, I don't know how large his factory was.

John, the point in your first comment is well taken.

All in all I now have enough suggestions and criticisms to see clearly what I didn't like about the two original sentences and can rewrite them to better convey what I mean. Clothing manufacturer sort of did it.

Natan had been a clothing manufacturer in Europe for twenty years. In America he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory on Manhattan's West Side in the emerging garment district.

Carrie Parker

Hi, I'm new here. I would reword the second sentence as follows:

The growing garment district that was emerging on Manhattens' west side had been a perfect place for opening his dress factory.

Hope it helps.

Lea Zalas

Once in America he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory in the garment district emerging on Manhattan’s west side.

After moving to America he opened a clothing factory in Manhattan's west side garment district.

Lea

Robert Wilson

I feel its to wordy. Here's my version.

Natan manufactured clothing in Europe for twenty years. In America, he established a dressmaking factory in Manhatten.

RW

Nolan Wilson

Second sentence: Once in America(,)-you need this comma, as you have one in the first part of the story.
    Once in America, he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory in the flourishing garment district that had begun to emerge on Manhattan's west side.
    Amazing what a well placed adjective can do... And you must stick to your tense, you say continued...therefore you need to have 'begun to emerge' or 'that was beginning to emerge'.
    TA DA!! you like?

Book Werm

Yes, thank you.

Something about the original as it was written fell flat. This does not and is more in keeping with the tone of the entire story. If you care to read it in workshop form, it is a Zoetrope Novella. REAL LIFE-Part I.

Lum Arifi

RightWriter is the software tool that actually improves your grammar skills.
    You don't have to understand grammar rules to use RightWriter. RightWriter will show you the problem area and make suggestions explaining how to fix it.

RightWriter Includes

Grammar Checker
    Punctuation Checker
    Syntax Checker
    Writing Strength Checker
    Style Analysis
    Selectable Analysis Methods
    Strength and Complexity Indexes
    Advanced Spelling Checker

For other interes and more information click on the web site :

http://www.elitemindsinc.com/jamaffi...rox.php?id=155