HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Book Werm

Unhappy with two sentences

I want to convey this much information. Something about the last part of the second sentence bothers me.

For twenty years in Europe, Natan had been a clothing manufacturer. Once in America he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory in the garment district emerging on Manhattan’s west side.

Book Werm

Re: Unhappy with two sentences

Once in America he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory on Manhattan's West Side in the emerging garment district.

A little better, but no cigar.

Janice W-D

For twenty years in Europe, Natan had been a clothing manufacturer.

I know you didn't ask but I'd change the first sentence to:
    For twenty years, Natan had been an European clothing manufacturer.

Once in America he continued as a dressmaker and opened a factory on Manhattan's West Side in the emerging garment district.

For the first sentence, I'd go with:

Once in America, he continued as a dressmaker, opening a factory in the garment district emerging on Manhattan's West Side.

Janice W-D

For the first sentence, I'd go with:

I meant for the second sentence ...

John Oberon

Natan manufactured clothing in Europe for twenty years. Once in America, he opened a dressmaking factory in the emerging garment district on Manhattan’s west side.

John Oberon

By the way, you don't want to say "European clothing manufacturer" because that says more the kind of clothes he made, not his location when he made them.

John Oberon

Or maybe not...is there such a thing as European clothing, Brazilian clothing, American clothing?

L Bea

Once in America throws me. I know you don't mean: Once, in America, he... but I still stumble on it. I'd ditch the once, but that's me.

Is it necessary to mention the emerging garment district? Is it enough to just say he opened a dressmaking factory on Manhattan's east side?

Just a couple of thoughts I had...

Bea~

Rogue Mutt

When you say "clothing manufacturer" did he own a small shop or a large factory? When I think of "manufacturer" I think the latter and imagine all sorts of women and children working furiously at large machines in some grimy building.

leslee

For twenty years, Natan had been a clothing manufacturer in Europe. In America, he opened a factory in Manhattan's garment district.