HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sentence Help

Finnley Wren

Re: Sentence Help

Having recently re-read some Hemingway, I am confounded by current writers fear of using "and." Gary is right.

"It was long and supple and ended in a twisted point shaped like a corkscrew."

And if that doesn't float your boat, Papa would like a word.

Book Werm

Another suggestion:

It was long, supple and the end, in corkscrew fashion, came to a twisted point.

You now have an embarrassment or riches.

Gary Kessler

It was long, supple and the end, in corkscrew fashion, came to a twisted point.

Nope. This is a compound sentence with two independent clauses. Publishing would put a comma after "supple."

Also, this version is more convoluted than the original. See no reason to go off in that direction.

Ord Retniap

Thank you for all the help folks, I'm overwhelmed by the number of responses!

Gary, like Chuck I knew there was something off about the sentence but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what was bothering me. Thanks for the nice, straightforward explanation!

I actually like your "long and supple and ended..." correction, but as the rest of that paragraph is already a little 'and' heavy I may be forced to rewrite. At least I know where I was going wrong now.

This serial comma phenomenon is interesting. I flicked through the books on my desk and, sure enough, they include serial commas. I couldn't believe I'd never noticed before, but then it occured to me that they were American books. Looking through a few Australian ones, it seems it is still the convention here to have "short, fat and bald" rather than "short, fat, and bald."

Gary Kessler

U.S. publishers are quite conservative with punctuation. They want the reader to have a clear roadmap of where the sentence is going. Thus, they use the serial comma, they set off the introductory prepositional clause with a comma more than you see in common English (although this is changing), they strictly mark compound sentences (multiple independent clauses separated with a comma; an independent clause followed by a dependent clause, not separated with a comma), and dependent "that" clauses never take a comma but independent "which" clauses always take a comma (and "that" always used for dependent clauses and "which" always used for independent clauses).