HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brain strain

Hybrid View

martin shaw

Brain strain

(1) A cluster of heads accumulated by the door, like a bunch of helium filled balloons at a party.

(2) A cluster of heads accumulated by the door, as if a bunch of helium filled balloons at a party

Number two doesn’t read to well I know, but is there anymore takes on ‘as if’ or ‘like’ for similes .

Josh Lemay

Re: Brain strain

You use "like" when no verb follows in the comparison. Your above example is a good one for this, so "like" would be correct.

You use "as if" when a verb follows. Here's an example of how you'd incorporate it into that sentence:
    "A cluster of heads accumulated by the door as if they were a bunch of helium filled balloons at a party."

Hope that helps.

martin shaw

Yes thank's, but I need more alternatives to like and as if... if you can think of any?

Josh Lemay

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simile#Without_.27like.27_or_.27as.27>

martin shaw

Many thanks, I've saved that to faves.

um, can you think of anything as obvious as 'like' or 'as if'

Battle Angel

resembling? similar to?

Doesn't your word processor have a thesaurus?

martin shaw

Good point, but just looked and I can't see much. I have a great many similes; all sort of poetic, but I think I'm stuck mainly with the two I'm using. Thanks anyway.

Butterfly Kisses

Personally Martin: a metaphor usually follows "as if" or "like". That's a sign of weak writing. You should consider eliminating the metaphors and leave the scene to display the imagery.

BK

martin shaw

Not understood sorry?

Cindy Kay

Martin,

What about skipping it all together? And nixing the cluster as it already gives the image your balloons do.

Heads accumulated by the door, a knot of helium balloons, static-sucked to the door frame.