HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    junel ;-)

Re: Your Critique is needed!

L Bea.

I think that Joseph meant Martin seemed to be implying that people of only English and U.S nationality can write in fluent English, or novel worthy English.

Which is a very fair contention for Joseph to make.

But to be fair to Martin, I don't think he meant it that way. He just chose the wrong words.

jayce

Canada? Australia? Ireland?

martin shaw

Shahbaz Ali is not a western name in general, and with his written broken English it is more than probable that Shahbaz is from a country of eastern origin.

rock doctor

Shahbaz,

Just a thought. Are you familiar with Cornelia Funke, the YA author (I guess it would depend on your genre of writing)? Well, she is German and most of, if not the whole of her work is originally written in German and if I am not mistaken, first marketed in Germany. Maybe you should try publishing in the country of your native tongue, and if it goes "crazy" and the masses enjoy, you might get an option of having it translated by a professional...then off to the states it goes!

Paul Coehlo has also done the like and is quite the literary phenomen right now. Well, I personally enjoy him as well as others.

cheers,
    RD

rock doctor

apologies for my spelling, I wrote, and uhhh....posted.

Shahbaz Ali

I welcome the response i have received! Thanks for your suggestions.

Shahbaz

Denis Bonner

If writers whose mother tongue is not English have one major problem it is colloquialisms.

Perhaps I need to point our to June that a "native English speaker" does not exclude all nationalities but English and US. There are a couple of other countries around where we speak what we at least consider to be English.

Back to the topic, Shahbaz, this is the cause of the awkwardness of your writing style. You might try using simpler words or expressions (example "a span of mere a year" is meaningless as you can't use "mere" like that). And there is a second problem - word usage/suitability. A dictionary does not necessarily help with that.

L Bea - I have a slight advantage here as I speak (fluently) two other languages aside from my native Australian!

junel ;-)

"Perhaps I need to point our to June that a "native English speaker" does not exclude all nationalities but English and US. There are a couple of other countries around where we speak what we at least consider to be English."

You don't need to point it out to me (at least i think it's me your talking to), as i wasn't the one saying that. I was making a reference to something Martin said earlier.

rock doctor makes a very good point, if the stories good, and it's shows international appeal, then theres always the chance it could get translated to other languages.

Denis Bonner

My apologies June, I didn't read your post properly.

I won't even say anything about the spelling in your last sentence. Not a word!

DD Bz

Well, the piece needs corrections.if you people could be of some help it would be good.

Bz