HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Chris Anderson

How much to post?

I've been cruising the board and starting to try and help a little in hopes that I can eventually get some crits on my own work, but I don't want to overstep the general board policy. How much is typical to post for critique? I am a few chapters in and have a beginning I would like thoughts on, but I wouldn't want to post entire chapters. The first real "section" is roughly 1800 words, but that seems more than people typically post.

Gary Kessler

Re: How much to post?

There is no rule that I'm aware of. The more you post, though, the fewer willing to read it. Need to look for your own balance in view of the material you have.

jayce

A thousand words seems to be the max. Single space it, with an extra space (carriage return) between paragraphs and lines of dialog.

It's better to post something that's reasonably free of misspellings, punctuation goofs, grammar errors, etc.

Lastly, Agents will want to read your opening, so begin at the beginning. Don't post some fragment that's further into the story because "it gets better as you go along."

Wear body armor.

martin shaw

Just me reading your posts eh Gary. I couldn't resist that sorry

jayce

Gary: we cross-posted.

Gary Kessler

Just me reading your posts eh Gary. I couldn't resist that sorry

Is there an English translation available for this?

martin shaw

(quote)The more you post, though, the fewer willing to read it

Just me reading your posts eh Gary. I couldn't resist that sorry.

There you go!

Gary Kessler

I go where? I don't have any trouble getting folks here to read my posts (you certainly did.) Obviously your little joke fell flat. But, if it will tickle you, I'll give you a "ha ha."

martin shaw

Wow what a party pooper. Would you like to read something I'm working on now?

Kitty Foyle

I think he's better at expressing himself in the "regurgitated poetry" department -- ain'tcha Martin?

*_*