HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    junel ;-)

Re: Writing a series/trilogy

One thing is for sure, if your novel is out there, and it is selling well, your agent/publisher will be on your back pressuring you for another manuscript to publish, so having a sequel already lined up would satisfy both parties would it not.

I'm writing a crime novel, and while i don't allude to a future story, and have by design left many elements of my story/character open, as i already have a second novel of the same character in mind.

Janice W-D

RD,

[/i]It seems to me that the potential for a series would add to the profitability for all involved.[/i]

Potential being the operative word here. How does a series in the wings put cash in the bank accounts of the writer, agent and publisher now? Of course, the answer is it can't.

IF the agent loves novel #1, they still may never find a publisher for it, due to all sorts of variables in the industry, none of which are related to the quality of the manuscript.

IF the agent loves novel #1, AND they sell it to a publisher that loves it, readers may reject it. Therefore, the other novels in the series never get sold.

A few years ago, I had the good fortune of discussing my work one-on-one with agents AND publishing house editors for thirty minutes or more each. When I tried to talk about other novels featuring the same character in novel #1, some frowned, others sighed. All of them launched into a don't-count-your-chickens-before-blah-blah-blah speech.

No agent wants a one-hit-wonder for a client. They're all looking for career writers but I doubt they care if novel #2 is another stand-alone, rather than part of a series. Based on my experiences, I bet they don't get excited about a series until <u>after</u> novel #2 sells out its advance.

Best,
    Janice

Janice W-D

Sorry, I intended to put the first sentence in italics, as it's a quote from RD's post.

Best,
    Janice

Gary Kessler

I'll add a sigh here. This is one of those back-to-front discussions. As far as I can tell and what it seems most agents say, they don't want to speculate on manuscripts down line from the first one from an unknown author until/unless the first one pans out.

All of the "whys" are useless exercises in view of "what is."

You can try to put reasons to it. What you can't do is tell agents they can't react as they actually do.