HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jay S

Re: Do you write with the readers reaction in mind?

Absolutely, yes.

Page Turner

This discussion pulls into question the two parts of my life. One as teacher, one as writer. The overarching question is: Where is meaning made? Is it in the mind of the writer, or the reader? I have my position on this. What are yours?

Cindy Kay

Ummm...I'm thinking in the space between.

I know I get excited when a writer expreses a thought or image in a way I've not yet put into words, or in words that capture a thought or image more perfectly for me. I get excited about the meeting of the minds, the space in between.

When I write, I am primarily thinking of how I respond, and have to assume, as Bea wrote, that I'm not so weird as to respond differently than at least some readers. When it comes to some editing phases, I'll think more about readers, and seek this out with reader friends and critique groups.

Page Turner

Yes, I know that last post was badly punctuated. I'm a high school teacher at the end of third term, on a Friday night. I beg your indulgence. *S*

Page Turner

I think all writers have to understand that once they put their words 'out there' the meaning readers make of them is determined by the reader under the influence of the reader's personal and socio-economic context, the context of the text itself, and the reader's knowledge of the writer's context. A writer does not imbue their writings with meaning. The reader makes meaning. A writer may have an audience in mind, a purpose, and an intent, but the reader is the determiner of meaning.

Bilal Zubedi

Hello, I guess sometimes you do keep the reader's reaction in mind but mostly as has been the case with me the answer would be in the negative. When I write and am currently working on a fiction the emotions that stir up in me while writing just seem to dominate and thats how I guess we all author's write. You could have a different opinion.

Gary Kessler

Where is meaning made? Is it in the mind of the writer, or the reader?

Both. And it legitimately can be separate meanings. Each person comes to it with a different history and perspective and "personal dilemma" that it could resonate with in different ways and to different ends.

Janice W-D

We talk to communicate. Writing is simply another form of communication. Even when just journaling, I transmit thoughts, concerns and celebrations between the "back" and "front" parts of my mind.

My subconscious keeps track of the theme while I compose the first draft of my stories or essays. During that stage, I'm mostly concerned with applying a thin layer of meat over the bones of the beginning, middle and end simmering in my brain. Sometimes the signal weakens, at other times it thunders in my head, jerking me upright in bed or making me dash, still wet, from the shower in search of pen and paper.

I "discover" the theme during the revision stage. Then I devise, hone and polish, always thinking, is this clear? Would a different verb communicate this action, thought or feeling better? Will the characters, story, theme and prose resonant in the minds of readers.?

Best,
    Janice

Cindy Kay

Janice, love the way you talk about this.

Janice W-D

Cindy,

Thanks! I reread it just now and discovered a typo that spell-check can't catch. I meant revise, hone and polish. Not devise.

Your words clicked with me:
    I know I get excited when a writer expreses a thought or image in a way I've not yet put into words, or in words that capture a thought or image more perfectly for me. I get excited about the meeting of the minds, the space in between.

I love it when that happens, as it did repeatedly while reading the anthology, THE BITCH in the HOUSE, edited by Cathi Hanauer. It came out in 2002 but I just got around to reading it six months ago.

Best,
    Janice