HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ashes Ashes

Do you write with the readers reaction in mind?

I may be wording this wrong so please forgive me if I am, but what I'm trying to ask is, when you write, do you write with a desired reaction from reader to your story in mind.

I ask because I've recently begun taking a class in which we analyze, deconstruct and so on, stories and my teacher likes to focus on what theme, thought emotion etc, the writer was trying to produce within the reader with his/her work.

Before taking this class, when writing, I didn't think about the effect whatever I was writing would have on whomever read it but now I've begun to wonder if I've been going about writing the wrong way.

So do you write with the desire of producing a certain emotion within the reader in mind?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I can't think of a better way to word what I'm trying to ask right now but I'm sure I will after this is already posted.

Gary Kessler

Re: Do you write with the readers reaction in mind?

Probably, yes--at least unconsciously.

leslee

it's a good question, Ashes. For me, the answer is absolutely YES.

I'm always aware of the direction I'm taking the reader and what I'm hoping they will feel.

Rogue Mutt

If I knew how readers would react I'd be a lot farther ahead.

Gary Kessler

If I knew how readers would react I'd be a lot farther ahead.

Which is different from guiding the reader to an emotion, so it has little relevance.

Rogue Mutt

You can guide the reader to an emotion but sometimes you can't make them feel it. Or they feel something different entirely.

A.J. Fisk

When I write, I generally do it with about three to four people in mind. While composing I don't actively think of their reactions--however, when I edit (which I'm still learning to do), I think about how well the story can be received and if those readers will enjoy it one way or the other. I look for the desired effect in direct composition and then try to bring it out further in the edit.

nancy drew

I primarily write for two people. Myself, and a reader whose judgment I trust implicitly. Tells me when it stinks, only with more sanitized lingo.

mar quesa

Yes and no. I normally have a premise in mind when writing a story. The premise is the reason why I write the story, not the reader. However, when I write my scenes, I do take into consideration the readerís reaction.

L Bea

I don't think of how the reader will react. Isn't that odd? I just try to be authentic and portray something that I feel. I try to make it real. I try to write what I see in my head and hope others see it too. If I try to do something that will "make" others react, it comes off as phoney. I just spill all of me out onto the page and believe that some will catch it. I guess I believe that I can't pretend to know how others feel. I only know how I feel and if I feel it, there are others who will too.

~Bea