HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stephen Holak

Appropriate forum for critique

Is this forum the most appropriate for posting a writing snippet for critique? I\'m about on-third through a first draft of a fantasy novel, and frankly I\'d like to find out if I\'m wasting my time on the project. I seem to have a decent story idea, interesting characters, and the time and energy to see it though; I want to find out if I have the chops.

I understand the dangers and issues of posting first draft materiel, so I\'d edit and polish it a bit more than usual for the early content. I have a section in mind that showcases dialog, description, and a little action -- it\'s the closing chapter of of the book\'s untitled Act I, so a lot would be out of context, and it will run a few thousand words or so; what approach would the group suggest for getting a bit of feedback in this forum?

Joe Zeff

Re: Appropriate forum for critique

Yes, this is the best place. Please edit for spelling, grammar, syntax and punctuation before posting, because many of us will find errors of that distracting and tend to point them out instead of critiquing the quality of the work. Try not to post more than about 1000 words, and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

(I might add that once, and once only, I posted an unedited first draft. I did so, however, to show that my first draft was of better quality than the "edited" draft that a certain troll [Still on the board, but troll no longer, I'm glad to report.] was posting.)

L Bea

Stephen,

What Jeff said. It really is important to try to higlight your best work for critique. The only thing I'll add is that if you post and ask for critique, be prepared that there are some straight shooters here (me!) who may rip your "baby" apart, so perhaps drink a few shots first (*wink*). Some of the hardest things to "hear" [read] can be the best learning experience if you're open minded. If you want someone to pat you on the head and tell you how great you are, go ask mommy and best friends for their input.

That being said, you will receive a variety of opinions coming from a variety of preferences and expertise. At the end of the day, it's YOUR work and while you can certainly take away valuable information, don't allow it to pull you away from your own voice and style.

~Bea

jayce

Post your opening paragraphs, not some isolated scene from later in the story. When you submit to agents, they're gonna want to see your opening; if that's not equal to the best parts in your story, you should make it so.

If you haven't read Noah Lukeman's "The First Five Pages," you might want to give it a look. (He's an agent, BTW.)

Good luck.

Sam Fletcher

The process is your teacher. You're not wasting time by learning the hard work of the craft or by putting pencil to paper and shouldering your way forward. But, having said that, you can also learn from the critiques of others. Don't view this as a make it or break it moment but rather as an opportunity to learn how to write better.

Joe Zeff

"What Jeff said."

Harrumph! Do that again, L. Bea, and you're going to find out how my staff, ClueStick, got its name...

L Bea

Joe!!! Joe!!!! Joe!!!! Dang it!!!!! I've done that before to you!!! What is my problem?????? I'm so sorry! Can't that be my little pet name for you? My own little Jeff???? D'oh!!! Well, even if I called you by the wrong name, it's not like I was doing an intentional impression of Endora from "Bewitched" when she purposely butchered Darrin's name with Derwood or Darwin or others. The context of what I said was promising, right, Heff? Err, I mean Zoe... NO! I mean JEFF! Sorry my dear friend. I give you permission to call me whatever you want. Go ahead -- give it your best shot. I can take it....

BaLe -- I mean LBea

Kitty Foyle

L Bea, I knew you weren't the only one to call him Jeff! There have been others. Check this out:

<http://www.writers.net/forum/read.php?f=12&i=88914&t=88905>

*_*

jayce

Yeah. And JZ sent poor Larry Moses hiding under a rock for this infraction.

---------
    Author: Joe Zeff
    Date: 08-21-09 16:55

Larry, I'm sure you were just trying to be funny when you called me Zoe. What you were was trying. Very. If you want any more comments from me, stop calling me names like that.

---------

Author: larry moses
    Date: 08-21-09 17:35

OMGosh, Joe, I'm so sorry. I guess your surname 'zeff' threw me off. I feel like what I am - an idiot. Sorry. I wasn't trying to be funny. That was the furthest thing from my mind. I'm just anxious about the query. Shoot!

-----------

'Zoe' never did let him out!

L Bea

How interesting that you put that link here, Kitty. I have a feeling that may have been the post that JOE was referring to in his post above.

~Bea