HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Denis Bonner

John Z looking for a word

Hi John

I just noticed your post from some days ago. Bodacious is definitely not the word you are looking for. None of the other suggestions come close.

Denis

Maika B

Re: John Z looking for a word

I just posted something in the original thread. My suggestion was "arrogant". It has to be negative. "Bodacious" is positive. I agree with Denis that it doesn't apply.

Book Werm

I still think audacious fills the bill.

Kitty Foyle

Nevertheless, Denis, It seems John Z. wants to stick with the first word suggested:

Re: Looking for a word

Author: John Z
    Date: 09-01-09 08:01

As of the moment, "precocious" it is. But I'm still not positive it's the one I was thinking of, which probably means it's not, but it's good and it's close enough.

- - - - - -

*_*

Gary Kessler

I thought "precocious" came closest.

Denis Bonner

I still have trouble with precocious.
    My dictionary (Mac) offers me this definition:

precocious |prɪˌkəʊʃəs|
    adjective
    (of a child) having developed certain abilities or proclivities at an earlier age than usual : he was a precocious, solitary boy.
    • (of behavior or ability) indicative of such development : a precocious talent for computing.

I guess it really depends what John Z is looking for,

I tried eager/eagerness in my dictionary and here is what I got in the Thesaurus section:

THE RIGHT WORD
    You've heard of the “eager beaver”? Anyone who has a strong interest or an impatient desire to pursue or become involved in something is called eager (: eager to get started; an eager learner).

Someone who is especially eager might be called avid, a word that implies greed or insatiable desire (: an avid golfer, he was never at home on weekends).

Ardent combines eagerness with intense feelings of passion or devotion (: an ardent lover; an ardent theatergoer), while fervent suggests an eagerness that is ready, at least figuratively, to boil over ( | their fervent pleas could not be ignored).

Anyone who is deeply interested in something or who shows a spirited readiness to act is called keen (: he was keen on bicycling), while zealous implies the kind of eagerness that pushes all other considerations aside ( | a zealous environmentalist).

Enthusiastic may connote participation rather than expectation: One can be eager to take a trip to Switzerland, an ardent student of Swiss history, and an avid outdoorsperson who is keen on hiking, but one is usually called enthusiastic about a trip to Switzerland when it is under way. Enthusiastic also very often applies to someone who outwardly and forcefully expresses eagerness.

But enough! I am sure John will find the word he likes best.

I only come back to this subject because I am always looking for a word that expresses precisely the shade of meaning I want.

mar quesa

I agree with Denis that the word precocious doesn't seem to be the appropriate word. Precocious is usually used when describing a child "who knows a bit too much for his age", not a young man eager to show he knows what he’s doing. Perhaps the word officious would be better. However, it's up to John to decide which word best suits his story...

Gary Kessler

Ah, yes, I thought he was asking about a child. I went back and saw that he was asking about someone older than that.

Kitty Foyle

Too bad it has to end in "ious." How 'bout exhibitionist?

Or show-off, smart-ass...

Obnoxiously yours,

*_*

Book Werm

Not to put to fine a point on it, I think audacious or presumptuous fills the bill. However, it may just be a way to modify helpful.

He or she was helpful, although in an audacious way. Or presumptuous way?