HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Gary Kessler

Re: Punctuation again

No, I for one don't intend to give you any more reasoning, John--because you don't accept any reasoning that doesn't "speak" to you personally and because you basically just don't understand what the function of an editor is. You're irrelevant to the process and I hope you stop pretending to be what you aren't and taking people's money to produce what "speaks" to you personally rather than providing the uniform standards the industry wants to provide.

Jeanne Gassman

John,

I'm finished with this conversation. You are arguing for argument's sake. As I said in my previous post, if it makes you happy to punctuate things incorrectly, then do it. The industry has a set of standards. Those standards have an inherent logic (already explained), and if you choose to ignore both the logic and the rules, then so be it.

Not my problem. But don't advocate to newbies or inexperienced writers that it's acceptable to flaunt the rules of grammar. It isn't.

Jeanne

Rogue Mutt

Maybe Oberon should write a book called, "How Would Jesus Punctuate?"

John Oberon

Well, Jeanne, I wish you'd enlighten me on where you explained the "inherent logic" of this period rule. I've given you two pretty clear examples of how that rule distorts meaning. Apparently, by "explained" you mean "cited", and by "inherent logic" you mean "industry standards".

It doesn't bother me when people flaunt grammar rules occasionally, if they happen to know them, but it's usually not OK to flout them, wouldn't you agree?

Can't help it, Gary. I'm criminally insane, I think. People give me money to edit, and the evil force within overwhelms me - "Must...edit...document!" Maybe if you were to write down all the reasons I shouldn't edit, print them out, and send them to me...you know, all strewn-out in a shoe box...it would help cure my malady.

Gary Kessler

Reason one: Because you are a scammer. That's all the reason I need.

And I've bookmarked this thread and am going to index it back to anyone coming here for help on keeping their manuscripts competetive and you've given them one of your "it's all about me" advice responses.

John Oberon

Gary, I'm not a scammer. It's never entered my head to pursue such a thing, because quite frankly, I have too much legitimate work. I can't help but think you're mentally ill or something. Are you a very old person, Gary? I sure wish I knew what's made you so angry and vindictive. Anyway, index away, my good man. Questions about the period rule are way older than me.

Here...how's this - Attention everyone! I do not want to edit your MS. I already have too much editing work, and I've never edited a novel except my own anyway. My expertise lies in technical writing and illustration, marketing and advertising writing, and magazine and newspaper articles. If you want a jen-yoo-wine book editor, go to Gary Kessler. He has credentials, I hear. Though a little weak on vocabulary and language precision, he's a pretty good egg, and I'm sure you'll find nothing but enjoyment in helping him edit your book.

There now...when you index everyone back here, they'll read that good plug. Your sales should jump markedly, I would think.

Gary Kessler

Ah, your "reasoning" turns you to personal attack. Sorry, not playing that game with you.

John Oberon

What personal attack? I didn't say you WERE mentally ill, I told you MY thoughts. I asked if you were old because I've seen this pattern of behavior in older people where they latch on to a notion like a bulldog, and they won't budge even when the conversation shifts to a different subject.

ME: You know, there's some legitimate questions about that period rule.
    GARY: You're a scammer.
    ME: But don't you see how that rule distorts meaning? What about my examples...
    ME: I'm not a scammer. But to get back to...
    GARY: You're a scammer and totally irrelevant to the industry. I'm going to bookmark this thread and make sure everyone knows you're a scammer.
    ME: But if I'm totally irrelevant, why would you need to...

You've pretty clearly demonstrated a weakness in vocabulary and language precision, so no personal attack there. From your history of posts, tirade is one of your favorite forms of expression. A streak of anger runs through most of your posts. I found the first post where I responded to you quite a while back. The first thing I asked you was, "What are you so angry about?" So no personal attack there. You've made it clear that, although you know next to nothing about me, you intend to impugn me as much as you can on this board. I and just about anyone would call that vindictiveness, so no personal attack there.

Gary, you write all these angry, spiteful things and exhibit a pattern of discourse that MIGHT indicate mental illness. I note these things, and you take it as a personal attack.

I don't know you, Gary. I don't know how old you are, whether you're married or have kids, where you live, your beliefs, next to nothing about you. And I'll be bold here and say you know next to nothing about ME. Yet never would it enter MY mind to question YOUR character and try to punish you for some phantom offense, because I barely have enough time in my life for those I know and love let alone strangers. Do you have nobody in your life? Are you depressed? I don't know. All I know, is that you're trying use the nuclear option to kill what would roll off most other people's back.