HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Book Werm

Punctuation again

I submitted this sentence before and below seemed the best suggestion. But I'm uncomfortable with the period outside of grandpa quotes. Is there a definitive answer.

No one called Molly and Abraham Natan Schiller "mama" and "papa" or "grandma" and "grandpa".

Jeanne Gassman

Re: Punctuation again

Are you British or American? It makes a difference where the quotes go. American punctuation dictates that all periods and commas go inside the quotes. For American style, your sentence would read:

No one called Molly and Abraham Schiller "mama" and "papa" or "grandma" and "grandpa."

Jeanne

John Oberon

Jeanne,

I know that's the rule in America, but I never went for the ALWAYS inside the quote rule. I personally place the punctuation inside the quote only if it is a part of the quote or affects the meaning of the quote. This applies primarily to dialogue. But with individual word or phrase quotations where the punctuation is not part of the quote and doesn't affect the meaning of the quote, I always place the punctuation outside the quotes. So:

He said, "You stupid fool! You're not too smart, are you? Give me that."

but

He said things like "stupid", "fool", and "not too smart".

What do you think of that reasoning?

Jean Bonifacios

What about?

He said things like 'stupid', 'fool', and 'not too smart'.

Can you use those instead of quotes? Or am I really the fool?

Jeanne Gassman

John,

What do I think? You just don't ignore rules of grammar because you don't like them. Sorry, but I don't agree.

Bookworm, this site has excellent examples, and Jean, you would still put the period inside the single quotes:

<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/03/>

Hope that helps.

Jeanne

Gary Kessler

I know that's the rule in America, but I never went for the ALWAYS inside the quote rule. I personally place the punctuation inside the quote only if it is a part of the quote or affects the meaning of the quote.

Readers, please note that these are just John's personal preference from lack of training or being willing to follow authorities. This isn't anything a U.S. publisher would do.

Jeanne's sentence rendering is standard.

In U.S. style, the first level of quotes is always the double quote, so Jean's example doesn't fly in U.S. style. It might in British style, which has more complicted conventions on both quote levels and punctuation in relationship to quotes.

Rogue Mutt

Ha, we can rewrite punctuation of quote marks, but don't mess with commas! That $20/hour I didn't spend just keeps looking better.

Jean Bonifacios

LOL

Jean Bonifacios

Hey Jeanne, would the single quote go outside of a comma too?

Jeanne Gassman

Hey Jeanne, would the single quote go outside of a comma too?

Yes.

Jeanne