HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Bone

. Castleman

Re: Charlie Bone

Boy, it rode in badly. It's like a play by play reading. (Charlie went here. Charlie then ate dinner. Charlie then went to sleep. Charlie then woke up.)

Gary Kessler

Why does it bother someone that something else is published with grammar, spelling, and punctuation problems (assuming the one making that assumption knows what they are doing)?

Do you really think that if that slot was empty it would go to something you wrote?

It's like Christians and death--and sin, for that matter. Shouldn't it be a comfort that you could do the same like death should be seen a promotion for a Christian as well as that any sin can be forgiven should be comforting?

. Castleman

What in the world are you talking about?

I was simply asking from some people here who seem to know more than I do about the art of writing, and who I kind of respected as far as their opinions were concerned, about how the process of deciding what gets published is handled.

Nothing more than that. Seeing as how I just started writing, and my writing is taking a different turn than this author's has, NO, I am not pissed that a slot is taken from me. There was no slot for me over that book.

The fact is, I am new here, and still have a lot of "youthful energy" and excitement when it comes to trying to learn as much as I can about the process of writing-thus I am asking a lot of questions. Why the arrogance and childish response? If those type questions bother you on a forum DESIGNED for those with questions, you should stick to the forums for experts.

You know something? Not everyone is an expert with many books edited, or with many books published. Have you forgotten the title of this particular forum????? If I were Faulkner or Rowling, I wouldn't need to be on this one.

Is there something wrong with trying to learn as much as I can? Or should only writing geniuses be allowed? That would narrow the field down a little, don't you agree?

"It's like Christians and death--and sin, for that matter. Shouldn't it be a comfort that you could do the same like death should be seen a promotion for a Christian as well as that any sin can be forgiven should be comforting" This one lost me.

Lily

"It's like Christians and death--and sin, for that matter. Shouldn't it be a comfort that you could do the same like death should be seen a promotion for a Christian as well as that any sin can be forgiven should be comforting" This one lost me."

(LOL) Oh sh!t, it's lost on everybody. Doesn't make a lick of sense. He's really lost it this time and is babbling. Must be into drugs and booze.

Janice W-D

Castleman,

I read mainly literary novels, memoirs and a few sub-genres of mysteries. I adore the hallmarks of literary novels: lyrical prose, an enticing voice, gorgeous metaphors and properly constructed complex sentences. The themes, delivered subtly, resonant in my mind long after I read the last page. I rarely notice the thinness of their plots.

I've never read any of the Charlie Bone books but I've read 6 of the Harry Potters (will read #7 soon) and watched the movies made from the first 4 books. Every one of the weak linking verbs (was and other forms of "to be"), my pet peeve, slapped me in the face, yet I continued to read.

I concluded that their popularity stems from their strong plots and interesting characters. Fortunately, many such novels get made into movies. I can enjoy the story without suffering through the lazy writing style.

Best,
    Janice

. Castleman

Thanks Janice. I was actually thinking of posting the question: Why was Harry Potter so successful? I loved the series, but I am not expert enough to know if HP was genius work, or was just in the right place at the right time.

I liked HP simply because I felt like I knew the characters so well, and the plot so good ( I know this to be true as I couldn't wait to see how the story ended.)

Gee, maybe she was a genius? As far as the "to be" verbs, I need to go back and look at that in order to help me better avoid.

Thanks for the input!!!

Sam English

"...do the same like death should be seen a promotion..."
    What?

. Castleman

"...do the same like death should be seen a promotion..."
    What?

Ditto that

Rogue Mutt

And, respectfully, if you're going to talk about grammar, you might want to spell it correctly.

If I said that it'd be wrong, but if you do it it's OK. Well then.

. Castleman

Good point. I do wish people could ask questions w/o the jackassery (is that grammatically correct?)

They way I see it, short of JK Rowling, Stephen King, or Ernest Hemingway visitng the site, none of us are quite as good as we think we are.