HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Charlie Bone

Naomi Thompson

Re: Charlie Bone

I actuallly liked the Charlie Bone books, but I read them awhile ago, before I started getting uber paranoid about bad writing. In a lot of the books I've read recently I've started noticing grammar problems and ways the book could have been tweaked a little bit better. I think that 1) because humans are imperfect no matter what one does a book could always be better edited or written. And 2) I think when you start paying attention more to grammar and how to craft words better you start noticing problems in the books you read.

Lastly, I have no idea why some books get published. There are a couple of books I've read that just make me want to throw the book across the room because they stink like last weeks garbage. But hey, some people like last week's garbage.

junel ;-)

I've only ever read one of the Harry Potter books, though I enjoyed it while I was reading it, I never read another Harry Potter book again.

Basically, for me it wasn't good enough for me to invest my time in again.

But hey, im not the intended market anyway.

While on the subject, I found the character of Harry Potter to be extremely whiney and two-dimensional, which is strange as his name carries the entire series.

"Harry Potter: Yes, I know heís the protagonist. Iím supposed to love him. Heís the hero, after all. However, Iíve always found him to be kind of annoying. Heís stupid and whiny. Especially in book five (although they didnít show that as much in the movie). I love JK Rowling, but I hate Harry Potter."

That came from a big Harry Potter fan.

http://teenbookreview.wordpress.com/.../harry-potter/

I can understand the following Lord of the Rings has, or I can understand Trekkies, but the phenomenon of Harry Potter baffles me.

Rogue Mutt

I had the same experience as Junel. I read the first one to see what the hype was about and it was fine. If I were 15 I'd probably have gone ape sh!t for it. Probably the same for "Twilight" with the added caveat of being a girl as well.

Nichole Blackfinch

I feel this way about the female characters in some of the more literary types of books, even though the writing itself often leaves me jealous. You know, the women characters who spend too much time looking out windows and sighing or contemplating rustling leaves. Don't they need to change diapers or pay the utility bill or iron their work uniform? Ok, maybe no one would actually read that particular book.

. Castleman

"Heís stupid and whiny"

I found him the opposite. Even though he was new to that world, he had great courage all the way through.

You said at first you only read one book, yet you found him stupid and whiney-especially book 5. How did you know this by reading one book?

junel ;-)

I never said that Shannon.

Janice W-D

Junel,

Yes you did.

Author: junel ;-)
    Date: 09-01-09 11:38

<u>I've only ever read one of the Harry Potter books,</u> though I enjoyed it while I was reading it, <u>I never read another Harry Potter book again</u>.

Best,
    Janice

Janice W-D

Junel,
    Sorry. My bad.

Castleman,

Although Junel did say what I quoted, she put the part about book 5 in italics because she was quoting what someone else said on a Harry Potter board.

Best,
    Janice

. Castleman

Junel,

My apologies. I misuderstood the post.