HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Bone

. Castleman

Charlie Bone

This question is a little off the path but didn't quite know which forum to list it under. Recently I began reading this children's series to get added experience in a genre I may try to publish in. Is it because I am not an expert on the craft of writing that I find these books poorly done? The books seem to be filled with poor grammer, and it reads like it is designed for seven year olds-yet the darkness of some of the scenes makes me think it isn't.

Am I missing something here? If I am, please tell me what it is that makes this good writing. Was this author famous before this series, because if not, I find it hard to believe the manuscript got past an editor.

That said, what the heck do I know????

leslee

Re: Charlie Bone

Aw, come on, Shannon. We've recently had the big blab about what constitutes good writing and concluded it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

And, respectfully, if you're going to talk about grammar, you might want to spell it correctly.

leslee

On the other hand, what the hell. Ask anything you want. I think I'm just tired of seeing the same discussions over and over. It's my problem, not yours.

It make be time for me to take a year off, as I've done before.

. Castleman

Leslee,

I apologize for making a human typo on the word grammar. As this isn't a manuscript, nor is it a piece of work to be critiqued, I didn't feel the need to put spell check on it.

My point is, I am asking those with experience in such matters as getting published to simply tell me why books this poorly written can sometimes get published.

Which forum are we in again?

. Castleman

I know that feeling. I feel the same on other sites I am on. As far as posting things over and over, please keep in mind that new people like me are always coming to the site. We may sometimes not find our answers in a search-but will gte better with that through time.

That said, I like your fire!!!!

. Castleman

I know that feeling. I feel the same on other sites I am on. As far as posting things over and over, please keep in mind that new people like me are always coming to the site. We may sometimes not find our answers in a search-but will gte better with that through time.

That said, I like your fire!!!!

leslee

I suppose there are a finite number of subjects to discuss regarding writing, and I've seen most of them. But that isn't your fault, and I'm sorry I got huffy with you.

Regarding checking spelling on a website, we have a long history here of thinking it does matter particularly because it is a writing website. So if you're writing "grammer" (which a lot of people do, believe me) you may find yourself questioned about it again. I make typos, too. Plenty of them.

. Castleman

Leslee,

No hard feelings from my side. I'll be honest, you should point that out to me. I am knew to writing, and I need to be conditioned to take the written word seriously.

I have learned a ton just in the month I have been on this site so it's all good.

As far as C Bone goes, I may have worded my post wrongly. I meant to say that does anyone know why a manuscript would actually be publsihed if it were full of typos and grammar problems? Also, since I don't know what makes "great" writing as opposed to "average" writing, I was hoping for some input from anyone else familiar with the series.

leslee

But it's entirely in the eye of the beholder, in my opinion.

You may have a book that you (and maybe the entire rest of the world) sees as "great" and I may see it as average or even crappy. There are lots of highly valued books that have bored me to death. Yes, people tend to agree on what constitutes "great" writing, but I've often been outside the norm on that, too. So I'll let others give you a better answer, if there is one.

The Midnight Writer

I think the Charlie Bone series rode in on the coattails of Harry Potter.