HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

. Castleman

For Gary specifically, but anybody feel free to opine!!

gary,

As a new writer, I had not heard of the Chicago Style manual unitl you mentioned it. I am considering spending the money for the online subscription. In a nutshell, could you tell me how this would help me for a first novel? What all resources will it have I can take advantage of?

Thanks!!

Jeanne Gassman

Re: For Gary specifically, but anybody feel free to opine!!

For creative writing and preparing a manuscript, you don't need to subscribe to CMS. You can find answers to your grammar questions at these two sites--for free:

<http://www.lousywriter.com>

<http://owl.english.purdue.edu/>

The lousy writer has excellent links to all of the style guides, but for a novel, knowledge of basic grammar rules will suffice. The style guides are usually intended for specific uses, such as formal papers, news articles, abstracts, editing mss. into published works, etc.

Jeanne

Gary Kessler

I agree with Jeanne in that getting the basics right for a writer has priority over getting all of the niceties down. I cite CMA here on specific questions that are raised to get right down to the basic authority in publishing--since the specific question was asked. In most cases these questions are less significant for the writer than how well they naturally write and and tell an interesting story.

. Castleman

Thanks to both of you for clearing that up!!!

Robert Wilson

You can purchase style manuals at thrift stores for about $2-$4 each.

New writers often do not realize there are many different style manuals, not just one.

I have about 6 of them. They list for around $25-$35 in bookstores. I have never paid more than $4.

BTW-style manuals will help you write correctly, but not write better.

RW

John Oberon

Correctly is better than incorrectly, for a start.

Janice W-D

I've always heard that the CMOS was used for fiction and the AP style guide was used for journalism and other forms of nonfiction.

To add to Jeanne's links, try the CMOS FAQs, a large selection of the most commonly asked questions and the answers from the CMOS. It's free.
    <http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FAQ/qatopics.html>

Best,
    Janice