HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laser Weapons

Aspiring Writer

Laser Weapons

I'm working on story that have military forces that employ energy weapons, mainly lasers.

When I describe the sound of the laser fire should I say that the laser beams create claps of thunder?

I'm thinking that laser a beam that is strong enough to kill an enemy at a distance that the beam it self must generate a lot of heat. Which, in turn, would create thunder...or am I going about this all the wrong way?

Thanks

Jeanne Gassman

Re: Laser Weapons

Aspiring,

My husband works in the defense industry, so this is coming straight from a reliable resource. Lasers are pure light, highly focused beams that don't create a lot of heat in their path. With laser weapons, the only sound you hear is the source of power, something that generates the light. The sound is usually a loud hum.

Google "laser weapons" before you get too deep into this so you have a better understanding of the props in your story. Hope that helps.

Jeanne

Aspiring Writer

Yes it does.

And I'm going go pay Google a visit.

Thanks.

Aspiring Writer

There are some really cool laser weapons on there.

Aspiring Writer

Thank you again Jeanne.

martin shaw

..........the piercing hum as laser beams zapped past our heads like high decibel tinnitus.

martin shaw

Hum no good!

........the high pitched sound of searing laser beams that zapped over our heads like high decibel tinnitus.

martin shaw

Dass is goot ya!

martin shaw

Hold on a minute.....

The piercing sound of a searing laser beam like high decibel tinnitus.

Sort of got there in the end, I think?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Depends. What Jeanne says is right... in perfect conditions.

But touch off that same gigawatt-powered beam in a humid range, & you've got a lot of water that is suddenly flashed to live steam. That's gotta make SOME noise.

So imagine using such a weapon on a battlefield, where you can barely see for all the smoke & dust. And whatever it hits is going to throw off plenty of debris -- sustained stationary fire of a beam weapon might therefore quickly fall off in efficacy as the cloud gets thicker & resists being dispersed.

Heck, you can even mention that in passing in the story.