HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Aspiring Writer

Technology VS chracter

I'm looking to write a short story for a sci fi magazine that wants character based stories where the technology and universe serves only as a backdrop.

So I want to know if getting this right.

The young private ran across the room, to take cover, while firing his weapon at the advacning enemy.

Or

The yong private ran across the room, to take cover, while firing his energy weapon a the advancing enemy, which are strange alien creatures with multiple limbs. The boot heals of his enviromental suit clinked as they struck the metal floor.

mar quesa

Re: Technology VS chracter

Some questions:
    Is this the opening?
    Does the young private have a name?
    If it's character based, shouldn't the character be the focus here?

Rogue Mutt

The first one is better. Than you can use future sentences to weave in little details about the weapons or the aliens. Just try to space it out a little and not give everything all at once. If you don't understand this, you're probably better off reading and not writing.

Aspiring Writer

mar quesa

Its just some random sentancs that I typed.

Rogue Mutt

Okay. I understand.

I've typed a couple of paragraphs but apparently not fast enough. My session must've have been timed out or something because when I clicked the post button I found that I was logged out.

Sam English

If you're writing a long post, compose it in a word processor than paste it in so you don't lose it if timed out.

Joe Zeff

I honestly don't understand why you people keep timing out, and I never do. here've been times that I've been away from the computer for half an hour or more, between composing and hitting Post, and it never gives me trouble. Could it be that I never log out of WN, and have it set to keep me logged in at all times?

Written at 11:30 AM, PDT.

Sent at 11:55 AM, PDT.

Lea Zalas

Joe - How do you do that? I've been timed out quite a few times, usually after twenty minutes (I think). Or are we automatically timed out after 30 minutes?

Lea

Gary Kessler

After I clicked on what I think was he "save password" square, it kept me logged in permantly and then didn't time out in the middle of composing a post.

Lea Zalas

Thanks Gary!

Janice W-D

I'm logged in permanently and have been for months. It still times out on me sometimes. That's why I always highlight the text and hit copy. If it times out, I paste the text into the new box.

Joe,
    I thought we established long ago that your use of Foxfire for a browser, instead of IE, is why you see things differently here. I also can't create or see Blinking text with IE.

Gary,
    What browser do you use?

Best,
    Janice