HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Michelle Mattson

need help with plot

Hi- I am new to this forum.
    I am working on a short story that basically opens with a woman opening a letter from her neighbor. The neighbor is demanding payment for an item she claims was stolen from her. I write a bit about the petty bickering back and forth...
    I want to wrap the story up ending somehow with the discovery that there is a longer history between the two- we don\'t learn about it til the end. I am about half through the story and am bored with it...
    any thoughts?
    thanks
    Michelle

martin shaw

Re: need help with plot

Ok, the letter asks payment for her virginity, stolen by her husband who ran back to his wife (next door neighbour). Oh, and the letter is a french letter taken away for DNA testing: so ultimately he gets to pay either way if proven. And the moral is... it all goes to show that its not just juice.

L Bea

Sometimes we have to put a story away and come back to it WAAAAY later and maybe see clearly what it needs. And sometimes matches and lighter fluid is the only remedy.

~Bea

Keith .

How about one was a lazy-ass too bored to write, get this, a short story--so she asked complete strangers to do her work for her. So some idiot stranger actually agreed to write the story for no compensation.

The lazy-ass gets a check for publishing the story and heads for the bank. But half way there she realizes she's been too stupid to wipe her own ass for the last twenty years. So, she pulls over, takes out the check, wipes ...well you know, then throws the crappy check away. The end.

Michelle Mattson

Uh Okay-
    writing for the enjoyment here. Sensing some hostility-not sure where the anger is coming from...
    whatever dude

Gary Kessler

Doing what you ask is a fundamental part of your own creative proces, Michelle. If you can't do it yourself, there's a question why you are trying to be a writer--and getting someone else to do your basic work for you.

Maybe your question should be met with just silence from serious writers--but since you asked where the hotility was coming from . . .

Maya Mills

I agree with Gary.

Michelle, ask your self these: What do I want to read in a book? What would excite me? Am I feeling the characters? What genre am I heading for?
    These sorts of questions might just perk your imagination. IMO
    Good luck.

Lea Zalas

Gary, you're right.

I don't understand what is going on anymore. Don't people know that when you ask for story lines from someone else, it's no longer your story?

Rogue Mutt

I don't know, sometimes group brainstorming can be fun to see all the wacky ideas we can come up with.

Lea Zalas

Rogue - I love the wackiness and the brainstorming. There's a lot of good ideas and suggestions given here. But I still think they should have an idea of a storyline to throw out that everyone can take and run with.

I think it's great when someone posts an idea and asks for everyone's advice. But they at least have a clue of what they're trying to do. So maybe we should start a discussion group just for the people with no ideas, yet they want to write a book and make lots of money. (LOL) There's no substitution for imagination (which a LOT of people here have in spades).

Better yet, let's post one-liners of ideas we've rejected for ourselves and let other people pick through them and see if they can make a book out of them. Just a idea.