HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Morgan Blalock

Same story; new POV ?

I\'ve finished the novel I was working on -- finally! -- but I can\'t seem to get out of it. I was working on a new story, but it never really came together, I guess. Boo. But then I got the idea to take another character from my first novel and tell the same story from his point of view.
    My question is this:
    If you\'re retelling the same story, but using someone else\'s life and experiences and...way of seeing things, I guess, do you HAVE to use the same dialogue? Do you have to include all the same conversations?
    I\'m just not really sure how to go about this. I\'ve got the preface down and that\'s all; I\'m too confused to go on!

Thank you for your help!

Gary Kessler

Re: Same story; new POV ?

No, you don't use all of the same. You use some of the same dialogue--to signal to the reader who has read you before what you are doing--and you don't use different dialogue for the same scene. But you use different scenes to recast and give new meaning to the original. The classic of doing this was Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet. Same characters, shared scenes, but in one a set of characters goes out on a balcony and that book continues with action in the room. Another book covers what happened on the balcony. And if you construct it carefully, each stands on its own, but a combination of the two (or more--four, in the case of the Quartet) brings new dimension and undertanding to the whole.

I've spent much of my writing toying with this. It's fascinating and fun.