HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    John Oberon

Re: Revamped portion of chapter 1 (thanks to GaryK and Bea)

1. I didn't want to, but I would have done it, if he accepted. I don't know about you, but I do LOTS of things that I don't really want to do.
    2. I offered to edit Rogue's book. Yep.
    3. I quoted a price; I did NOT know that it would not be accepted, but I did SUSPECT it. If he accepted, I wanted to be in a position to perform the service, which meant I needed to be paid. I don't work for free.
    4. I would have accepted the money. Yep
    5. And I would have done the work, if he signed a contract. Yep.
    6. If Rogue was willing to pay what I quoted. Yep.

No duplicity whatsoever. It was an honest offer. I would've done it if he accepted, even though I didn't want to. That's the first offer I've made in over 10-15 years, I think. Definitely, over 10. The only thing duplicitous, if you can call it that, was the motive. I did not make the offer to get work, I made it to illustrate the ridiculousness of his stance on punctuation, but I was pretty darn open about that then and now, so no duplicity. However, on the off-chance that he accepted, I wanted to be able to live up to my word, and that required pay. Actually, if he had wanted to make me suffer, he would've accepted the offer, because I didn't want to do it, but my word binds me.

Rogue Mutt

Do you just hope if you keep saying the same thing you'll get a different response? That a light bulb will just click on and people will say, "Aha!?"

Gary Kessler

The bottom line, of course, is that if someone asks John, who has no proper training in book editing and who doesn't use--even know about--industry book editing authorities, to edit a book manuscript they hope to entice anyone but John to publish, they are a dope.

leslee

Well, it's buyer beware, that's for sure.

But people do make mistakes, and that doesn't make them dopes.

What astonishes me is that John absolutely cannot see the dishonesty in his own behavior. Why can't you just accept and admit that you did the wrong thing here?

You made a disingenuous offer to a fellow poster. Rogue's not some dufus on the street you've never spoken with before. You made an offer to edit the book of a regular poster here. And why? So you could show how superior you are in your understanding of punctuation. You made the offer, hoping it would not be accepted, but still set a price, and you're PROUD to say you would have edited the book if Rogue had been willing to pay! You see that as an example of keeping your word - your word which was a bunch of BS to begin with.

Considering the moral stance you've taken on this website - the endless lectures about God and honesty and right-vs-wrong, I'm stunned that you can't be a big enough man to simply admit that you goofed. People make mistakes. You made one. You have no business f'ing around with the writers posting here. There are enough scams to deal with.

I am SO GLAD Rogue didn't take you up on your bogus offer.

John Oberon

There was no dishonesty. I meant the offer, and I told him so several times. I would've followed through if he accepted. And I also made it pretty darn clear about my motives.

It wasn't disingenuous. I would've lived up to my word if he accepted. I meant what I said. The point was not to show my superiority, it was (for the bazillionth time) to show the ridiculousness of his stance on punctuation rules. But the offer was legitimate, and I told him so several times.

My word was not BS. I meant the offer. I would've edited his work if he accepted.

I'm so glad he didn't take me up on my legitimate offer too, lol. I was pretty darn busy at the time. But I would've done it, if he accepted. No dishonesty. No disingenuousness. No BS. I would've done it. And of course I would've accepted the money. I do good work, you know. Nothing wrong with getting paid for work.

You seem to be mistaking satire for dishonesty, Leslee. Ever read Swift? Not much honesty, but a whole lotta truth.

leslee

"The point was not to show my superiority, it was (for the bazillionth time) to show the ridiculousness of his stance on punctuation rules."

IT'S THE SAME THING! Your need to show him the "ridiculousness of his stance" IS attempting to show your superiority! Wake up, man!

"My word was not BS. I meant the offer. I would've edited his work if he accepted."

And how marvelous it would have been for Rogue to have a guy who does NOT want to edit the book editing the book. What a bunch of crap.

Incredible that you can't see your own behavior in this. Honestly, I'm shocked.