HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A good meeting

Ankita Patil

A good meeting

hi all
    i m working on my first novel. and i want to make the protagonist meet a girl(who becomes her best frd subsequently). but i want to make this first meeting in a very unusual way.
    can anyone give me some ideas?

Juynal Miah

Re: A good meeting

Hello Ankita,

aaahhh... boy meets girl... how sweet.

I don't have a suggestion as such. But maybe you could play with it. Like role-reversal or something.

Or maybe Speed Dating... sorry that's not very unusual is it.

I let you know if I come up with anything else. I will give it some thought.

Rogue Mutt

How about the girl is climbing a tree naked and falls onto your protagonist? Now that's a memorable meeting! And just think of the conversation starter: Um, why are you naked and climbing a tree?

(If you use that and it gets published I expect a chunk of the royalties. ;-) )

shannon castleman

How about at a funeral? That could set up some potential conflicts. Or an AA meeting? Or a car accident? (Please don't have them meet in the grocery store or a wedding, too over used )

Juynal Miah

Hello again Ankita,

I owe you an apology. I didn't read your post close enough.. I see now it is not boy meets a girl.. but two girls that meet.

So disregard my last contribution.

Consider, if they are too become best friends subsequently, perhaps they should have something in common thats gets them talking. An unusual interest, that finds them both in an unusual place.

shannon castleman

Ooops. My bad too. Girl mets girl.

Try to think of a way they can meet that in and of itself can offer a parallel story or some type of potential conflict. I think a funeral would be somewhat diffeent. You could have many areas to explore from that standpoint to add a little spice of flash back to the story.

Maybe they both survive a crash and the situation causes them to develop a bond?

shannon castleman

Or maybe one of the girl's dad kills or hurts the other girl's dad, and they still become friends?

Jeanne Gassman

They both show up for a blind date with the same guy?

Could have some interesting conflict...

Jeanne

Keith .

One's walking into an abortion clinic while the other's protesting outside.

shannon castleman

Jeanne and Keith, those sound good. I think the abortion clinic really offers some potential conflict.

Ankita, I think if its a comedy, maybe Jeanne's idea would be good.