HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    shannon castleman

"The Elements of Style"

I do not remember who suggested this book to me-but thanks. I highly recommend it for newbies. In one day I realized most new writers such as myself say too much; too wordy. Nouns and verbs. Nouns and verbs. Leave out the gooey adjectives.

Gary Kessler

Re: "The Elements of Style"

If you are writing a high school term paper--or even college--the Elements of Style is a very good, basic source. If you want to write for commercial publication, it becomes irrelevant, limiting, and, in a few cases, contrary pretty quickly. But it's certainly better than not using anything when you are at the beginning of a writing career.

If you want to write in the humanities (which includes fiction and nonscientific nonfiction), the U.S. market industry uses the Chicago Manual of Style for style, and most publishers use the latest edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary for spelling and hyphenation.

shannon castleman

Thanks Gary; Will add that one to the book shelf.

Book Werm

June Casagrande --Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies-- covers many/most pitfalls. Entertaining but unclear. Still it's a road map of which obstacles that beginners have to be overcome.