HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Brandon Cleveland

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a second draft so much in my life

I recently lost my job as a political speechwriter (State House), so I'm going to spend the next few months pursuing my lifelong dream.

I'm writing my first serious YA novel, and I'm writing about 10k a week. But sometime, my thoughts can sometime end up a garbled mess, just begging for a red pen.

My question for you guys is: do you wait until you've finished your manuscript to go back through, or do you go back as need be? I'm not looking for advice, I just wanted to share.

Lisa P

Re: I don't think I've ever looked forward to a second draft so much in my life

Brandon, I'd get it all down first, then go back and tackle it with that red pen.

Keith .

I begin each day going over what I wrote the day before. It makes for a cleaner first draft, plus it gets me back in the groove of where I was headed before. There's no right or wrong answer so use some trial and error. Luck.
    km

leslee

Sit down and write it. As you do, things will evolve and you'll want to go back to the beginning and re-work it. You may think you know your storyline, but it's going to surprise you. No point editing until you've got your first draft.

Just my opinion.

Rogue Mutt

I do the whole draft first before I go back to edit. Actually the last couple of times I don't even bother with editing the first draft; I just write the second one completely fresh. But as Keith said there's no right way to do it, so do what works for you.

Andrew Smith

I do what Keith does. If I write 1,500 or so words per day, I will usually start each day about 2,000 words back and rewrite and pick up where I left off with new material. If I remember something that needs addressing, I will usually go back to it as opposed to waiting until later. There are lots of people who'll throw out the Hemingway quote about first drafts, but the technology of Hemingway's time meant that first drafts were actual hard copies. There is no such thing as a "first draft" in that sense -- with the exception of authors who write with pens (and I know one who does).

When I finish, I go one time through from beginning to end and that's it. I sold five of five novels by doing it that way. But everyone's going to have their own preferred method. Be comfortable with what works for you.

Cammy Stevens

You only know of one person who writes with a pen? wow, guess you know two now. Does everyone write on their computers from the get go then? I find all that darn clicking annoying for my concentration, plus a notebook and a pen I can travel around the yard or playground with my sun much more easily. But I will say, the book I'm working on now I wrote first, then typed, then went back to edit. I had already been thinking that my next book I'm going to do in chunks like that so I don't have the whole grueling edit at the end. Doing a bit each day sounds much more enjoyable.

Alex Hipkins

I, as well, will constantly go around with a notebook in hand capturing what I want in my head onto the paper and then onto the computer.

For me, it is more of a need to do sort of thing, as I would go straight onto the computer, but there is only a single desktop to use and it is trafficked heavily by my parents, who because of my divorce, I have to live with right now because my financial situation went down the drain.

Still, I have always enjoyed writing with a pen and paper, and will find myself always starting, even if nothing else of the project is written in the notebook, with the good old fashion way.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Brandon: write it all out first. Overwrite it, in fact: if you've got a target length, double it. The result is that you'll clear a LOT of crud out of your head, & what forms to fill the space will likely be markedly better. The more you clear out said crud, the better your prose will get.