HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intro idea

Cammy Stevens

Intro idea

I let everyone's comments on the y/a fiction book I wrote sink in and reworked a lot of things with it. Thank you to everyone for the help. I'm new at getting criticism, guess I just gotta get the backbone for it. So I decided to shut up and channel what ever I was feeling in my book. Much more productive that way.
    Anyways, I have an intro idea that seems to me to make it a complete story instead of just a girl wandering into a forest one night...

I am thinking of putting a court case at the beginning where the girl was raped, kills the guy, then finds herself in foster care, and the magical world is a way to escape from the harsh realities of her world. She grows up in this world, tackling the hard topics in growing up we all faced.

So what does everyone think? Too edgy? Too clique? Too... or just ok, or ... I need feedback.

Marty DeLand

Re: Intro idea

Cammy, I edited Sharon Hope’s memoir, A PIECE OF HISTORY, which deals with some of these topics. Your premise is not too far fetched. Sharon talks about retreating into madness as a teen. Though she never admits to killing anyone, after reading her story, I wouldn’t blame her if she had. She did however, stab someone. Her account is pretty funny actually, he had it coming.

Xander Cohen

I like the idea of the court case introduction, it gives the character an interesting story and is a good chance for the reader to get attached to her.
    Being raped is (in my opinion) one of the most serious crimes there is, which gives her a good cause for wanting to escape.
    As for ending up in foster care; I feel the need to ask how old the lead character is?

There is a beauty to reading a book about a girl escaping to a fantasy world, being that reading is a method of escapism.

So, no, it isn't too edgy, not too cliché and not just okay.
    It's a bit of each and a bit of none.

X.

Xander Cohen

For an amazing film of a similiar idea;
    I reccomend Guilermo Del Toro's amazing Pan's Labyrinth.

Cammy Stevens

I've heard of that movie. It's the one that starts out in WWII isn't it? I've never read the book, which is surprising to me, because I always enjoy the book better than the movie any day.

Thanks, everyone, for the input--I got about 3 pages of a court case that just spilled out at like... 2 a.m. a few nights ago, out of the blue.

Xander Cohen

It's during some Spanish thing, they're fighting geurillas and the like.
    The suprising thing is; there is no book of it, it's an original idea from Del Toro.