HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dave Kuzminski

Re: The First Sentence

Go with your true feelings. If that means opening up to how you feel betrayed by God or how you have only so much patience, then do so. The reader wants honesty in writing of this sort. Use that honesty and don't be afraid to let the manuscript highlight both your needs and his. You can only guess sometimes at what he feels or truly thinks. You have complete access to how you feel and think. Use those to supplement what you interpret from him. Let the reader see how limited you are and how easy it is to sometimes guess wrong. Permit your readers to enter the inner circle of your lives because yours and his are so intertwined that one cannot truly be identified without the other.

Keep in mind that you will encounter detractors regardless of how you word anything. There will always be someone who disagrees with one of your decisions and there will always be those who don't see eye to eye with your interpretations. Think of them as a blessing because their dissent will bring you more publicity and more readers. So, be honest. Use the words that describe what you see, feel, and think.

Marty DeLand

Re: The First Sentence

Dave, it's almost as though you lived this. For years, our greatest challenge was understanding what Ian wanted. He lost most of his speech center in the brain, but seems to understand a great deal. Some doctors believe he can read. I tend to agree, but his comprehension is limited. We read to him while pointing between pictures and words. He GETS his point across.

When Ian was five, he came to my wife, completely distraught. She couldnít figure out what was wrong. He tried every form of pantomime, but she couldnít get it. Finally some light switched on and she asked if heíd lost his Tickle-Me Grover doll. He reached out and hugged her, and started to cry, exhausted. For the first time in his life, someone understood what he was saying. Ian has a wonderful mother. His dadís no slouch, either.

That "intertwining" you mentioned is most certainly there. And Iíve learned not to feel sorry for him, which can be a wellspring of my finest black rages.

Great observations. Thank you.