HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Alex Hipkins

First person or third person?

I have seen many novels done in both, but what is the preferable choice? I mean, both can be impacting in their own rights, but then again, both can suck. Lol.

I suppose I will give an example, which will be part of a page from my manuscript to see which way is better for it.

First Person:

Barely having the gumption to move myself, I was turned by an outside force. The banshee screeched louder than before. I winced with the volume. As the water left my eyes, I was able to see a little Chinese girl. Gabriel's own little china doll from my first night stared back at me with her mouth gaped open wide. Blood still looked like it was trickling from her neck as she frantically scratched and clawed at herself. Her eyes looked straight into mine and I could tell that she thought over and over again about seeing her twin sister's life being taken. She cared so little about her own death and saw me as the great perpetrator of evil in her life. Blamed me for the torture she had felt.

Third Person:

Jonathan was unable to move himself, so an outside force did it for him. The banshee's screech caused him to wince, and his eyes to water, with the sheer volume. As they cleared, he saw before him the spirit of Gabriel's little China doll. The memories of his first night of being turned rushed back at him as she just stared with her mouth gaped wide open. Blood still seemed to trickle from her neck, though Jonathan hadn't known whether that was from memory or the fact standing before him. Both of her hands scratched and clawed at her spiritual flesh while she looked straight into his eyes. He was the great perpetrator of evil that had taken her sister's life.

To switch from first to third, or vice versa, gives a different flare and even feel to the writing, even with the same basic content being used.

I guess I am really just trying to see what everyone else thinks about it before I go and rewrite my ms into the third person, lol.

Alex Hipkins

Re: First person or third person?

And yes, as a precaution, which hopefully everyone can get around, my current ms is a vampire story. I know it kind of killed my last post, but maybe it wont this time. I am only 24, this Sunday at least, and have been working on it for a while. I am still interested by vamps, and hopefully will bring enough twists to my story to make it interesting for everyone.

If not, there is a chance people will like the other several manuscripts that I have an outline, planner, character sheets, etc. for. Better reception in those topics. One is a horror, one fantasy, one a collection of short stories that revolve around the same plot and moral (doing that one just because I have wanted to for a long time and finally decided to start on it).

Anyway, please don't be turned away by this knowledge.

Todd Ritter

It depends on preference. I use third person, mostly because I write through several characters' POVs, but also because I like how it lets me describe their thoughts and motivations better.

There was a debate about first-person on here a week or so ago. I recommend scrolling back and trying to find it. It was lively, to say the least.

Alex Hipkins

Honestly, you may have just helped me out with just saying why you like to write in third person. I have been worried about the word count, and the fact that a lot of it seems kind of dry, though I am on my third or fourth time reading through it (could be a factor lol).

Now, lol, it will be the greatly fun task of starting to retype it into the 3rd person...heh, this will be fun, but I think it will make it better.

Denis Bonner

Hi Alex

You speak of wanting to change this manuscript because you have wanted to do this for "a long time",

There is a story I commenced writing in 1988 which I want very much to finish. A long time is relative. This is what I have wanted to complete for a long time".

Just do what feels right to you. Don't worry about anyone else, Write your story so you like the feel of it. When you are satisfied then it is finished/completed.

Good luck. And happy writing.

the cat came back

Make the choice based on the needs of the story.

There is no preferred voice, only what suits the story. Each POV has things to recommend itself or the opposite. Which serves your purpose the best. Think that through before you commit to rewriting the whole bloody thing.

Gary Kessler

The cat has it right, I think.

Alex Hipkins

Thank you all for your advice.

I have been thinking it through, and before I make anymore of a rash decision, I think I will read through and such of my manuscript again.

Thanks.

Cathy C

I prefer writing in first person, but sometimes the story really does require other POVs that are nearly impossible to achieve without the entire story being told in third person. I have books written both ways.

But I PREFER first person, when I can.

Alex Hipkins

Unfortunately for me, I think that I have a long task of rewriting my ms into third person. I just think that there are a lot of things that would be better in third person, but I am afraid that I will lose some of the personality of the main character if I do.