HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Misty Lucas

Profanity, pro or con

Just rereading over my book and I use profanity at various parts through out the book. Most of the time it is during conversation and its an emittance of emotion. However I have sexual situations and use more vulgarity. I almost don't want to take it out because there is value in shocking the reader. Also because there are sexual situations in the book I've noticed on several other "writing" sites that mentioning that certain publishers won't publish sex or profanity. So does that mean that only the "seedier" company's publish sex and bad language? Man do I miss Carlin these days and the truth about there being no such thing as "bad Language" only bad use of it. I agree. And with that I'll stop prattling on and wait for a response. Which will probobly direct me to some Q n A from april of 97

Lisa P

Re: Profanity, pro or con

Misty, not a f****** thing wrong with it, IMO, unless you are writing a childrens book.

And as far as I've read, almost everybody publishes sex. It's part of life.

; )

Misty Lucas

Okay, well I'm not going to let mom take a gander at it unless it's on bookshelves near you but that's great. LOL that would make an interesting read for the kiddies eh?

And as far as you've read, sex maybe a part of life, but for some it get's published more than had.... lol yeah yeah tmi

Lisa P

Misty, LOL! I am well aware of the frustrations of "celibacy" by circumstance. God...SO aware.
    And nothing is really tmi on this board. That's why we all continue to come back day after day.
    ; )

Misty l

Well those who don't do.. er write.
    Either that or the battery charger goes haywire and you drag the kids out at 3 am for a trip to wally world for an emergancy supply of the one doctors trust the most, and you just hope that it keeps going and going.....

I made that up... no really i did... fiction pure fiction

A.J. Fisk

Huh.. so that's what it's like in a cougar's head.

--

Anywho, to the topic. I think you hit it with your Carlin quote. As long as it is used properly (and not profusely) profanity (too many p's?) can have its uses. After all, there is a difference between fvcking and making love. Sometimes sugar-coating it takes away from the experience... and I would also wonder about publishing houses that would veto work based on the graphic content as opposed to the literary merit. If it works, it works, I guess.

-Adam

John Oberon

If you're ashamed to let your mom see it until after other people view it as a success, that says a lot.

I make it a point not to write anything that I would not want my children or my wife to read. In fact, I just had my 14-year-old daughter read my book recently. She said I should put a dog in the story, because she likes dogs. So I wrote a dog in the story, and she named it.

Profanity? Graphic sex? That's the hallmark of weak minds and weak writing, as far as I'm concerned. 99% of the time, writers feel they need to "shock" the reader for one reason: the story stinks. If you have a good story and good writing, you don't need to shock the reader back into interest.

The mere fact that you view profanity as a shock to the reader indicates you still have a healthy conscience and that you know it's not really necessary. What you really need is a better story...but that's a much more difficult road to follow than profanity and sex. Not many writers willing to invest the effort to follow that road nowadays, but if you do, you'll stand out, and so will your writing.

Rogue Mutt

Whatever Oberon. I'd take Bret Easton Ellis over you any day. He's actually published a few novels--profanity, graphic sex, and all!

Andrew Smith

This is a good question, and something that I'd struggled with over the last few months. The novel I just sold to my publisher, which is set to be released in fall 2010 is YA, 93,000 words. It's kind of funny how many of those 93,000 words turn out to be F-bombs (I did a count just for the hell of it). And there's fairly graphic sex in it, too... this, after I toned down the content after getting some advice from other author friends. Still, it's there -- but it's not about "shock" at all. We'll see how it comes out in the wash when we finish the edits next month. Sorry if I have a weak mind, John, but I am a father of two YA-reading kids (one of each gender), and I'm not ashamed at all about them reading my stuff.

Beautiful Loser

f you use profanity and sex to enhances the story, whether in dialog or description, I don't think that it will shock readers provided the overall quality of writing is well done.

Using vulgarity in sexual situations won't preclude your story from becoming published. Bad writing would.